PDA

View Full Version : Black Ribbon Eel Okay for my tank?

CaliReefer12
02/18/2009, 09:40 PM
There is a beautiful black ribbon eel at my LFS. I am wondering if any of you have experience with them and what their needs are? I know they need to usually eat guppies or ghost shrimp at first to get them eating. I would have it in my 40gal reef which I know is on the small side but I have plenty of rock for it to hide its body in. I also heard that most eels need a closed top and my tank is open top. Is a closed top a necessity with these eels? I have two good size cleaner shrimp in my tank also, would it bother them? I am experienced enough and keep my water params very good but I don't know a ton about these specific creatures. Any advice is appreciated.

giambi4343
02/18/2009, 10:04 PM
well i dont have a ribbon eel but i have a golden dwarf eel and i can answer a few questions for ya.

i have heard that ribbon eels are one of the harder eels to care for. the 40 gallon should be ok for now but may need to be upgraded. EELS NEED A CLOSED TOP! mine has escaped into my overflow well over 100 times now and thats even with a closed top. they are escape artists and they can and will get out. dont learn the hard way. as for the cleaner shrimp... they may goners. my golden dwarf eel doesnt bother my cleaners but i know ribbons get much larger that mine.
hope this helped you with your decisions.

andrew

tongareefer
02/18/2009, 10:05 PM
The eel will eat all shrimp & any fish that it can fit in it's mouth. IME

CaliReefer12
02/18/2009, 10:19 PM
Well its not huge right now. its about 18"-20". Its mouth is definately too small to consume any of my fish or shrimp. I would definately need to come up with some way to make it a closed top though. I have a glass cover but I also have a HOB skimmer and a fluval filter system with hoses going on the back of the tank so either way there would be some space. towards the back side. Do you really think it would go out of the tank and onto the floor?

tkeracer619
02/19/2009, 12:42 AM
yes he would

Peter Eichler
02/19/2009, 12:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14428948#post14428948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tongareefer
The eel will eat all shrimp & any fish that it can fit in it's mouth. IME

Ribbon eels rarely eat in captivity and should be avoided unless you nsee them eat. Also, a 40 breeder with an open top is no place for one even if you are lucky enoug to find one that eats...

CaliReefer12
02/19/2009, 12:57 AM
Ribbon eels rarely eat in captivity and should be avoided unless you nsee them eat. Also, a 40 breeder with an open top is no place for one even if you are lucky enoug to find one that eats... [/QUOTE]

Ya I wouldn't get it without first seeing it eat or covering my tank. I think I will wait to get one until I have more time to dedicate to them and have a bigger and better suited tank for one. For now I will enjoy seeing them in other tanks. they are such cool creatures

eros
02/19/2009, 06:42 AM
I've seen one in a reef at a San Jose LFS. It was awesome. The owner said it eats frozen shrimp out of his hand and doesn't bother any of the fish in the tank. He had some smaller fish that looked like they could definitely be prey, but there were no ornamental shrimp in the tank. I would love to keep one!