PDA

View Full Version : dosing potassium?

devgru
02/19/2009, 12:08 AM
i recently heard of dosing potassium for a reef tank.i did a google search and came up with some information and test kits.

anyone dosing this or have any thoughts?

the808state
02/19/2009, 12:11 AM
vitamin C, potassium... That's it, i'm off to walmart for some Flintstones vitamins.

Peter Eichler
02/19/2009, 12:35 AM
It's the latest fad additive... Find me one shred of scientic evidence that it's a good idea to dose it in reef tanks or that reef tanks even tend to have a deficieny and I'll care.

JoelNB
02/19/2009, 08:11 AM
If I can draw from my gardening skills (FWIW), there are three major nutrients that plants need.

Phosphates for root and stem development,
Nitrates for leaf growth, and
Potassium for flowers and fruit.

It's not typical to dose potassium to leafy non flowering plants but it is always present in the soil and needed to some extent.

ReefEnabler
02/19/2009, 02:36 PM
IMO potassium deficiency is only likely in Ultra low nutrient systems like zeovit where people are pulling everything out of the water and then readding it all back in.

some salts have a lower potassium than others. some "information" claims that montipora corals are more sensitive to potassium deficiency but I have no idea if its true.

ocean is around 400ppm K+

Dante_JoseCuerv
02/19/2009, 03:18 PM
I've never heard of too many things in marine aquaria that need K+. I mean I know that macros usually need things like iron and magnesium, phosphates and nitrates are good for macros too but K+, never heard of anything like that. Then again I haven't heard too much about it, but I don't think it's something important like calcium or other more important additives.

devgru
02/19/2009, 03:40 PM
i was thinking the same.i just saw a bucket of it at a acrylic fabricators shop and asked him about it,he says he uses and sells it to reefers.im just not going to jump on the wagon and hope it doesnt have long term side effects.

hey reefenabler,how can you box with that size glove on your left hand and still manage to hold a beer in the other?

ReefEnabler
02/19/2009, 03:44 PM
duno, I'll have to ask my wife for you ;)

packer
02/19/2009, 04:40 PM
After discussion at a local frag swap with some sellers, I started to add a bit to my tank. It most definatly helped the blue and purple in my sps come out more. The coral had been in my tank for over a year and responded in about five days after adding some potassium.

The problem is, all were in agreement that there really is no good test kit for it so its unknown the true ppm in your system. One fragger said he watches his corals and when they drop a bit of color, he adds a slight bit. A bit of a ignorant way to do it, but I am trying the same as I would not want to overdo it.

devgru
02/19/2009, 05:05 PM
i found an industrial lab grade test kit,not too bad a price but where does it say the ppm required in our tanks?guess someone would have to test the seawater

sorry,i thought your wife was reefenabler and you were "?"
ive been following your build.especially like the garage tank setup.i have the diagram and photos in a folder on my destop.im trying to do the same in my garage.but with mine i dont have to worry about the garage overhead door.it will be on the back wall.

ReefEnabler
02/19/2009, 05:27 PM
potassium level in the ocean is between 380-400 ppm.

both Fauna Marin and KZ have a Potassium test although their accuracy is debatable.

thanks, ya I wish I could have built mine against the back wall. As it stands right now I had to cram things vertically to stay under the garage and its limited the access to work above the refugium more than I'd like.

snorvich
02/19/2009, 06:48 PM
+1 And both tests are not that easy to use reliably.

FlamesFan
02/19/2009, 06:51 PM
the KZ test kit is alright but it basically tells you if its low or not low and not accurate which is fine. I currently dose K+ with KZ products