PDA

View Full Version : Powerheads. How would YOU do it?

ice cream jones
02/19/2009, 01:00 AM
Okay so I didn't have nearly enough flow in my 90 with just 2 koralia 1's. So i searched craigslist, and messaged everyone who had koralias. I managed to get 3 koralia 2's and 1 koralia 4 for $80 shipped.

My Tanks dimensions are 60x18x18.

At first, i tried putting the 4 on the back wall, facing the front. Tank turned into a hurricane. Then I had the 4 on the right wall, facing dead center, with a 2 on the other side facing the 4. Hurricane.

I now have the two 1's in the middle on the back wall facing out and up, rippling the water for oxygen. The 4 is on the right wall, facing to the back of the tank and up. One of the 2's on the left wall doing the same. The other two 2's were on each side of the back wall facing down and towards their closest wall, but as soon as i turned them on, my new nem who hasnt settled started floating away lol. So they were turned off.

So on a 60x18x18... How many of these powerheads, and which ones would you use? And how would you have them positioned? I just dont want so much flow that my fish are stressed out.

cody6766
02/19/2009, 01:18 AM
my tank is a way different, but I I use 2x K2 and 1x K1 in my 33g cube. This tank is something like 20x18x18.
I keep the K2s opposite of one another (back left and front right) with the K1 on the front left. They're all at the top of the tank and are all blowing more or less straight out. I have them set slightly out of alignment with one another to create turbulent flow in the tank. I have high, random flow at the top and low, random flow at the bottom.

My overflow comes in center back and adds some turbulence too.

Try keeping yours high and pointed at one another, but just a little off. It may give you random flow w/o blowing sand everywhere.

nikon187
02/19/2009, 02:20 AM
The fish will enjoy the random flow. There is more flow in the ocean than we could hope to make in our tanks. I use 3 koralia 3's in my 50X 19X 22

ice cream jones
02/19/2009, 02:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430315#post14430315 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nikon187
The fish will enjoy the random flow. There is more flow in the ocean than we could hope to make in our tanks. I use 3 koralia 3's in my 50X 19X 22

So it's okay for the fish to be pushed sideways occasionally? Lol