PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Hermits, Your Experiences Please

Gwynhidwy
02/19/2009, 07:45 AM
I'm considering putting a few dwarf hermits in one of my reef tanks. I've avoided having them in the past because I know how unfortunately opportunistic crabs can be in their feeding, but my DH really wants some.

For those of you who have dwarf hermits, do they cause problems? If so, what problems? How long have you had them? What species do you have? I generally see two genera being sold as dwarf hermits, Clibanarius and Calcinus, are they both generally safe? Thanks!

chimmike
02/19/2009, 07:57 AM
my bluelegs are among my best CUC members. They haven't been opportune feeders for me because i feed the tank heavily, and when they're not eating extra food pellets, they're cleaning my rocks and sand like machines.

Gwynhidwy
02/20/2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks very much for the reply. That's good to hear. Any idea which species you have? I've seen several species sold as 'bluelegs'. Thanks!

Anyone else have dwarf hermits?

chimmike
02/20/2009, 07:43 AM
I wish I could tell you specifically what species they are, but I can't. Sorry!

fishysteve
02/20/2009, 08:51 AM
I've been using scarlets, blue legs, and Halloween hermits for 8 years or so. I've never seen them picking at anything I didn't want them to. They and the snails are a very good CUC.

ds4x4
02/20/2009, 10:47 AM
I have blue leg hermits, red striped and A "Dwarf" zebra. also a couple Scarlet reef.

one thing is if you buy hermits then you might as well get a handfull of larger shells for them to move into. i got my zebra and he was tiny now he is huge