PDA

View Full Version : new tank, cycling

drunkymunky
02/19/2009, 11:08 AM
can i have blue leg crabs in tank while it is going through a cycle of high ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?? i recieved a tank with all accessories, i let the LS and LR sit in seperate tubs with water, heater and pumps for a month, after i got the chance to set up the tank i put everthing back in the tank (75G) and the LS was really dirty, after the brown mess settled all over the LF and LS it looks pretty messy. i was hoping to put in blue leg crabs to clean it up while it cycled for the first time???

drunkymunky
02/19/2009, 11:11 AM
is limestone bad to use and turn to LF?? my LFS is selling it 2$ a pound and i wanted to put it on the bottom to start off??

kraze3
02/19/2009, 11:40 AM
Did you use the water that you were using in the tubs. If you did my guess is that your tank has already cycled.

Its not good to have anything in the tank while cycling. What are your water params as of now? How long has the tank been set up?

w16227
02/19/2009, 11:53 AM
No critters during cycling. Ammonia = bad - high Nitrate = bad.

What are you testing for - and what values? Testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrates is what will tell you when the cycling is over - and when it is safe to add anything.

A pic might help too - there are many different variants of "brown mess" that can happen in a tank. Some can be handled by a clean up crew - but it depends.

If you are worried about dietrus (bits of crud), you can make your own filter with a siphon tube and a filter bag. Great with a sump- as you do not need a separate bucket.

If the water is cloudy from the sand - you can use a hang on back filter to help clear things up.

We need more information!!!!

drunkymunky
02/19/2009, 01:46 PM
the mess is from the old tank. i did not use the old water. i went to LFS and bought salt water from them. u just used the LF LS from friend. the sand was just scooped out of his tank and then sat in garage for month. the sand all settled but the mess( guessing is poop?) from old set up settled after sand and left a brown blanket. like if you were to stick your had in your tank now, you would get a brown cloud. ill try to post pic.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/214047P1010303_1_.JPG http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/214047P1010302_1_.JPG

my readings are as follows. ph 8.2/ ammonia .25/ nitriteand nitrate are both 0. i started my tank 2/17/2009 night and all readings were 0, next moring the ammonia went up and has stayed there since to about noon today so far.

drunkymunky
02/19/2009, 01:49 PM
and for prevous post, ment LR, not sure why im putting LF lol.