PDA

View Full Version : Coral color and light choices

RRaider
02/19/2009, 11:13 AM
I ordered some frags from the LA Divers den including an ORA Plum Crazy. I received them yesterday and boy do they look way different (worse, not nearly as colorful) under my t5's. DD says they photograph them under 20k halides. Are any of you using a t5 combination that is close to the 20k halides as far as coral color? If so what are you using? I'm definitely disappointed in the way they look.

swhaley40
02/19/2009, 01:52 PM
don't know what your currently running but 4 blue plus 2 aquablues and 1 Fiji purple give my sps amazing colors..don't think it's quite 20 k but it's pretty blue. I would also give it a little time. Doesn matter what I introduce to my tank, it takes a few weeks and the colors really change(most of the time in a good way).

JosefDevaty
02/19/2009, 06:22 PM
If you recieved them yesterday they are probably stressed from shipping. Give it a bit. I use T5s also and get way way better colors than I ever did with halides. This is my bulb setup
front
giesmann actinic +
Giesmann aquablue
Giesmann actinic +
giesmann actinic +
Giesmann aquablue
Giesmann actinic +
I also have a pure actinic (purple) that I recently switched out for an actinic + just to see what it would do with colors.
Keep in mind my tank is only 12in high. I will eventually switch to a mix of ATI and UVL bulbs... but to get going with t5s I bought local. Though I gotta say Im getting great color and growth with the giesmanns

jennmac415
02/19/2009, 09:29 PM
swhaley40......don't want to hijack but was wondering, if you have a picture of your tank under that combo?? I am going to be changing my bulbs soon and was thinking of using that very same combo...

JazzZero
02/19/2009, 09:35 PM
ya i think the pics are a not like the real thing, i currently have a MH (20k xm) with 2 T5s (1 actinic and fugi purple) and the 20k is nothing like people expect its almost no different than the 14k phoenix (im quite disapointed). I got better colours out of the corals from just the 2 T5s.