PDA

View Full Version : 2 tangs in a 90?

norgemorir
02/19/2009, 11:24 AM
I had a yellow tang and a hippo in a former 90G tank and had absolutely no issues. That was many moons ago and now there seems to be more cautionary advice on keeping to tangs in 1 tank.

I'm considering stocking for upgrade back to a 90 and am looking at the yellow again and this time with a white cheek. I know with yellows I'll have a chance to pick out a (at least initially) non aggressive one from the LFS due to them storing 10+ per tank --kind of obvious which ones are bullies.

The white cheek, from what I've read seems like a safe fellow tang.

Anyone have experience to the contrary?

Thanks, Matt

Amoore311
02/19/2009, 11:44 AM
90 Gallon will be too small for the white cheek once he is full size.

I'd go with any of the following combo:

Yellow+Convict Tang
Yellow+Tomini Tang
Yellow+Kole Tang

norgemorir
02/19/2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, no issues with the Tomini being such a close body type to the yellow?

Amoore311
02/19/2009, 01:36 PM
They are different families so you will be ok.

You can add the Yellow Tang last just in case, but I don't see you having any problems.

jusn317
02/19/2009, 04:38 PM
May be biased seeing as how in my 90 I have a yellow and tomini tang. Haven't had any aggression issues between the two, and the tomini is a much better looking fish in person than the pictures I often see online.

MattL
02/19/2009, 04:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14432436#post14432436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by norgemorir
I had a yellow tang and a hippo in a former 90G tank and had absolutely no issues. That was many moons ago and now there seems to be more cautionary advice on keeping to tangs in 1 tank....It usually takes a while for problems to develop. They are probably two of the more peaceful surgeonfish, so you were sie in that combination. Nonetheless, the first signs of distress in tangs require a trained eye. They are not easy to observe, and you might have concluded everything was fine when it was not. Again, this isn't meant to blame.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14432436#post14432436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by norgemorir
I'm considering stocking for upgrade back to a 90 and am looking at the yellow again and this time with a white cheek....I respectfully recommend stocking for the tank you have. Both of these fish are common, and there will be no shortage of them in the future. Moreover, you save yourself the need of fishing one out and either returning it to the fish store or finding it a new home should things not turn out as planned. As the saying goes: sotck for the tank you have, not for the tank you may have.
I'm considering stocking for upgrade back to a 90 and am looking at the yellow again and this time with a white cheek....The white cheek, from what I've read seems like a safe fellow tang.[/B][/QUOTE]I agree they would be compatible, but the White cheek will quickly become uncomfortable in the confines of such a small tank. There are a wide array of beautiful fish that are not tangs, and I would recommend another non-tang as your other fish. If you want one, though, the suggestions of others above are all excellent choices. You can put a lot in a 90.

Matt:cool:

norgemorir
02/20/2009, 11:25 AM
I already have the 90, just going to be a few months before I get it in place, so I'm not adding anything to my 55G, just planning out the 90G -- i like to plan well in advance.

Thanks again for the suggestions on the Tomini, I'll keep my eye out for one locally.