PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Protein Skimmer

sixspeed
02/19/2009, 11:40 AM
Hey everyone, i wanted to know your opinions about this skimmer. I have it lying around my basement and want it use it on a 40 gallon breeder setup. I am an unemployed college grad so it is really my only option.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/sixspeed/IMG_0042.jpg

Thanks

CRASHJT
02/19/2009, 11:41 AM
any skimmer is better than no skimmer if you dont have the money to upgrade hook it up and let er' eat!!!

hyperfocal
02/19/2009, 12:21 PM
I used to have one. Singularly useless. I tried it stock, and with a needlewheel pump. I never got it to pull much of anything. IME, you'd be better off selling it and using the money for more frequent water changes.

Anemonebuff
02/19/2009, 12:25 PM
I had a Berlin Turbo years back. I believe they used Selz pumps with a needle wheel. The pump would not start after cleanings and power outages. It's not a good skimmer at all, however, you could get a Sedra or Ocean Runner pump and make the skimmer decent. My rating for that skimmer with the original pump is about 60 gallons, with a new pump about 75-90 gallon tanks. Like crash stated, "any skimmer is better than no skimmer".

sixspeed
02/19/2009, 01:18 PM
I have a rio power head i will be running it with.

so the concensus seems to be that the skimmer is garbage but its better to run it then let it sit in the basement.

any cheap cheap skimmers that are good. Like i said before its a 40 gallon breeder that will be plumbed to a 20gallon long sump.

Thanks

MarkusII
02/20/2009, 02:22 AM
Hello,

I had one of these with my old 125G tank.
I used an Aquabee 2000/1 pump with it and it did perfect.
CanĀ“t say anything bad about this skimmer

regards

Markus

faze07hd
02/20/2009, 06:41 AM
Their garbage... It takes hours to put it at the right setting and once you do find it, if you find it at all... it doesnt produce much skimmage. I strongly reccommend a different skimmer. But like someone said above, A skimmer is better than no skimmer.

sixspeed
02/23/2009, 11:07 AM
Faze do you have any cheap recommendations? Does anyone have good experience with another skimmer that will fit my needs?

GSMguy
02/23/2009, 11:22 AM
If you can't afford one of the cheaper skimmers out there this may not be the hobby for you, I hear chess is fun ;). Only half kidding this hobby is not cheap.

Good cheap skimmers i would look at are vertex, bubble magnus, msx, octo extreme. There are plenty of great cheap skimmers out these days. Skimmer design has come a long way since the days of red sea berlins.

sixspeed
02/23/2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks, i have heard good things about the octopus skimmers. I'll have to check them out.