PDA

View Full Version : Yellow watchman goby lost colors, dead flesh? Survivable?

sikpupy
02/19/2009, 11:49 AM
My yellow watchman decided t otake a trip into the overflow after I told him not to (yellow gobys just dont listen). When I plucked him out, he was not moving. He was breathing but not moving. I turned off the pump and dropped him into the tank and he seeemed to settle to the bottom. When I got home 8 hours later from work, he was breathing and swimming a little but not nearly as active as when I first got him.

Facing left, his colors looked fine so I was thinking that he just needs some rest. I was feeding the fish and a few got close to the goby. The goby sarted swimming around and when he turned to the right, there was a small streak under his belly, from the butt towards the tail that was pink/tan/human flesh colored. I looked closer and could also see that his tail, from the start of the fin (where it attaches to the body), going up the body about a 1/16"-1/8" was also white/human fleshy colored. I would assume that this would have been from being pressed in the overflow suction tube and starving him of oxygen?

So, now my question is, will it get better? Will his tail drop off? What about the part under neath his belly then?

I know it is hard to say without pictures but I am at work right now. I can get some when I get home.

Sk8r
02/19/2009, 11:55 AM
I'd say check your salinity and alkalinity (s/b 8.3) and keep him in the best water you can provide and he has a chance. If he shows any sign of infection, get him to qt and treat, but not unless it shows infected.

sikpupy
02/19/2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks sk8tr, will do.

My other question could go like, should I keep him in the DT so he HAS to move around, working the bad areas to get things circulated or keep him in the sump quiet and not moving till things heal? He does not move a lot in the DT, bt, enough every now and then.

Amoore311
02/19/2009, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't worry TOO much about the discoloration.

I've seen my YWG turn Bleach White before. Then the next morning he was back to vibrant yellow.

Take it easy and go by sk8r's advice. Keep an eye on the area, and remove him to QT if needed.

Fish are pretty resilient various forms of injury, as long as infection doesn't set in. My yellow tang got a 2" razor gash up the side on his body from my Powder Blue when I first introduced him. It healed up completely in only 2 weeks.

sikpupy
02/19/2009, 02:38 PM
Cool thanks. Uhm, what does the start of fish infection look like? I think I can imagine but you all could help me paint a clearer picture, thanks.

Amoore311
02/19/2009, 02:42 PM
Just like human infection really. Possibly swollen, looks relatively sore, possible redish color too which would signal irritation.

sikpupy
02/19/2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks Amoore, guess he is doing okay so far then. Looks just like a reguler fish but with no color. Only been a day but will have to keep an eye on him.

Amoore311
02/19/2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah don't worry about it. Like I said, mine has done it before and just changed back when he felt like it. He turned out A-Ok.

Here's a picture for you of him now:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/amoore2326/002-7.jpg