PDA

View Full Version : Can Melafix get rid of dinoflagellates?

plancton
02/19/2009, 02:08 PM
When I thought my problem was algae I asked the LFS guy and he told me that some people are using Melafix to get rid of algae problems and that it is particulary good agains cyano.

My problem is dinoflagellates and I am already having a PH of 8.8, removed sand bed, scrapped the rocks, etc. And it keeps comming back, So now I´m thinking on going through the medications phase, can any one comment on this?

shred5
02/19/2009, 02:25 PM
Anything that would kill dinoflagellates would kill your coral... Zooxanthellae are dinoflagellates...

Even if you could kill them they would be back. Dinoflagellates are common in saltwater and would just be introduced again and the same goes for cyano… You have too know how to control them..

Cyano is a bacteria not a algae. Dinoflagellates are algae.

Melafix is a antibacterial med which could explain why it might work on cyano.

Dave

jasonrp104
02/19/2009, 02:29 PM
I've only had 2 cyano outbreaks. Both times turbo snails took care of it

plancton
02/19/2009, 02:32 PM
We are not talking about cyano, we are talking dinoflagellates that is the problem I´m having.

The LFS says they have used Melafix in reef tanks to get rid of algae with good success rates and no damage to corals or inverts.

shred5
02/19/2009, 02:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14433853#post14433853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by plancton
We are not talking about cyano, we are talking dinoflagellates that is the problem I´m having.

The LFS says they have used Melafix in reef tanks to get rid of algae with good success rates and no damage to corals or inverts.

Most local fish stores do not know the difference between cyano, dino's or bacteria.. Any algaecide would kill coral.

Dave

seapug
02/19/2009, 02:55 PM
Kalkwasser drips are a proven method for getting rid of Dinos. Also make sure you are using properly purified water for topoffs, step up the water change routine and improve flow in the tank.

plancton
02/19/2009, 02:56 PM
I´ve read the reviews in marinedepot about algae fix and everybody says its proven to be reef safe and not damaging corals or inverts. From what I understand algaecides work by making it hard for the nutrients algae feeds on to bound to the algae. I don´t know what the dinos are feeding on, certainly I´ve tried everything, so maybe I can´t know what they´re feeding on but perhaps I could prevent them from absorbing that food by using an algaecide, and if I keep the right parameters such as good water quality and high ph they might not come back.

The other option I had was to buy 10 sea hares, but they are way to pricey and only partially worked last time.

mscarpena
02/19/2009, 04:58 PM
I tried the whole sea hare thing and they did not touch it for me. I added a scribbled rabbit fish and it ate it up really fast. Also ate some pretty nice zoo's, but I'm glad the dino's are gone.

plancton
02/19/2009, 05:18 PM
I have a sailfin tang that seems to munch them every now and then but not enough to make a difference, they grow again to fast, was your tank full of dinos or was it just a few rocks?, and how big was the rabbitfish?

troyman
02/20/2009, 06:59 AM
i used algafix had no problems at all use as recomended dont think more is better remove all your media while you are treating the tank