PDA

View Full Version : Anti algae products why not try them?

plancton
02/19/2009, 02:34 PM
Hey guys dinoflagellates are back, nothing is working!, so you´ve seen all I´ve tried:

Lights out
High PH
remove sandbed
Magnesium addition
Constant water changes
Phos reactor
Fuge with chaeto
Sea hares
Rock scrapping

Nothing seems to be working to get rid of them!. I´m not a big fan of chemical methods but this is what is going on:

My tank doesn´t have many nutrients, not much bioload, water quality has been mantained good, yet I don´t know what the dinos could be feeding on.

So what I want to try is the anti alagae chemical aproach. I had a small freshwater planted tank and in some ocations it would get hair algae, and by adding Azoo algae treater I would get rid of it. I wonder if these antialgae chemical treaters could get rid of the bastards once and for all!

comment on this.

Uncle Salty 05
02/19/2009, 03:33 PM
Have you ever emptied the tank, filled it with vinegar water then rinsed well and started over.
The walls of your tank could be coated with phosphate.
Does the algae grow only on the glass?

chris.hampton
02/19/2009, 03:54 PM
Have a look here!! I know its about hair algae but it answers your question.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1529695&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Peter Eichler
02/19/2009, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14434326#post14434326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Uncle Salty 05

The walls of your tank could be coated with phosphate.

:confused: :eek2: :lol:

Uncle Salty 05
02/19/2009, 04:03 PM
Don't understand much about phosphate do we?

mscarpena
02/19/2009, 04:55 PM
I had a similar issue and I got rid of dino's by adding a scribbled rabbit fish. It was not without consiquence though because it ate some zoo's that I had. I had the fish for a few weeks and it ate them all up very fast and they have not returned in over a year. Dino's eat and consume Silicates. Are you using ro water. If so do you have a DI. If not try adding a DI. Also you could try adding a phosphate and silicate remover.

plancton
02/19/2009, 05:31 PM
Of course I also use RO DI and change cartdriges often. I see the post you guys sent me, interesting so that guy gor rid of the whole thing with Algaefix, funny, I just bought the same product a few hours before reading that thread, hope it will work for me.

stumpy08
02/19/2009, 08:58 PM
let us know if it works!

Peter Eichler
02/20/2009, 02:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14434524#post14434524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Uncle Salty 05
Don't understand much about phosphate do we?

I guess not, perhaps you'd like to enlighten me on how phosphate can cover the walls of an aquarium with the only solution being tearing it down and washing it with vinegar.

Anyhow, on the dinoflagellate front...

I've had a couple small bouts with them and was lucky enough to be rid of them pretty quickly. Aggressive use of GFO, GAC, and chaetomorpha along with manual removal worked like a charm. The second time around took a little longer but it was a minor case. You also shouldn't do water changes while trying to combat dinos. Combine that with maintaining a high PH (8.4+) and a shortened photoperiod and you should have some sucess. Other than that there's not much you can do.

Peter Eichler
02/20/2009, 02:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14434925#post14434925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mscarpena
I had a similar issue and I got rid of dino's by adding a scribbled rabbit fish. It was not without consiquence though because it ate some zoo's that I had. I had the fish for a few weeks and it ate them all up very fast and they have not returned in over a year. Dino's eat and consume Silicates. Are you using ro water. If so do you have a DI. If not try adding a DI. Also you could try adding a phosphate and silicate remover.

I believe you're confusing diatoms and dinoflagellates.