PDA

View Full Version : Bionic dosing

kevinohio
02/19/2009, 03:13 PM
OK SO I am using Bionic. I had used it in the past, but to be honest I got LAZY and stopped dosing it.
My Calcium was down to 350.
According to the directions you add 1ml/4gallons
My question is can you or should you add more initially to egt the calcium up, the dose the smaller amount?

Same question for Alkalinity

sdc19982002
02/19/2009, 03:16 PM
You dont want to raise anything rapidly. I would dose normally until your levels are reached.

Aquarist007
02/19/2009, 03:22 PM
Here is a guide for initiating two part b-ionics that you might find useful:

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=262

kevinohio
02/19/2009, 03:32 PM
Is there an additive just for Magnesium? I have not tested for it or dosed anything for it.

shuguley
02/19/2009, 03:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14434240#post14434240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
Here is a guide for initiating two part b-ionics that you might find useful:

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=262

Follow capn_hylinur's advice! I did and it worked excellently.
You don't want to use B-Ionic to raise your levels, just to maintain your levels.

qfrisco
02/20/2009, 01:46 PM
You can use B-Ionic to raise your levels but it's not very economical as you'd need a lot of it. Go and get Kent's Liquid Calcium, Turbo Calcium, or something similar and use that to get your Ca and Alk to the desired levels, then use B-Ionic to maintain.

Use the calculator here http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html to figure out how much of a particular product to use to get your levels up.

IslandCrow
02/20/2009, 03:25 PM
I'd forget about the instructions (well, the suggested amount to dose anyway). Use the calculator qfrisco posted to get your levels up where you need them, and then it will take a little trial and error to figure out how much you should be dosing on a daily basis to maintain those levels. You can certainly start with what's recommended on the instructions (yes, I know I just told you to forget them) and go from there. Basically, each tank has different demands. There generally isn't any real risk in how quickly you raise your levels using those liquid supplements. I'd just keep an eye on PH, since some alkalinity supplements can raise your PH significantly. Pretty much all of them will raise it temporarily.

And yes, B-ionic and many others make Magnesium only supplements. It's recommended that you do not raise your magnesium levels by more than 100ppm per day. That has more to do with possible impurities in the supplement as opposed to any risk in raising the magnesium levels themselves.

kevinohio
02/20/2009, 03:51 PM
so if that chart show to use 11 tsp to get the desired level are you supposed to do that all at once?
I am using Kent Turbo Calcium

Aquarist007
02/20/2009, 05:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442614#post14442614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevinohio
so if that chart show to use 11 tsp to get the desired level are you supposed to do that all at once?
I am using Kent Turbo Calcium

I don't know if Mike is referring to the chemical calculator on the reef chemistry site or not---if so at the bottom of the chart it gives the recommended daily dose of each additive.

Aquarist007
02/20/2009, 05:05 PM
okay if it the calculator linked to byqfirsco then that's the one I am referring to--it will tell how to add of each daily until you bring up your levels to where you want them
having done this--then start with the two part dosing as I suggested.

fishrule
10/17/2010, 11:48 AM
Follow capn_hylinur's advice! I did and it worked excellently.
You don't want to use B-Ionic to raise your levels, just to maintain your levels.

Link doesn't work

dots
10/17/2010, 01:19 PM
Dose only what you need to return yourself to levels daily. Dose only the amounts that are found to be needed through testing.