PDA

View Full Version : Moving reef to larger tank.

lightningfront
02/19/2009, 11:40 PM
So, I'm going to be moving all of the inhabitants and corals from my 46 into a 125 across the room. I have the 125 set-up now and I am currently filling with Ro/DI to run the system for a day or so rinsing the sand and tank of contaminants then I will drain and re-fill.

Basically whats the best way to start up the new tank? Should I just move everything over into the 125 at once and expect that there will not be a cycle because everything is already going in the 46 or should I set it up like a new tank allowing it to cycle and all that?

Also I set up the 46 with a 6" DSB in the display. I will be running a RDSB on the 125 in a 29 gallon tank in the stand under the main tank. After moving the fish and corals over to the new tank I planned on making the 46 into an single sargassum angler tank. Just wondering if I should remove the DSB from that tank. I planned on moving some of the sand to seed the sand in the new tank.

scottwhitson
02/20/2009, 12:30 AM
When I moved from my 55 to my 75 I just moved it all at once I didn't set up the 75 and let it cycle. Everything should be fine just moving from one to the other.

kware
02/20/2009, 12:42 AM
I plan on doing this on my 90 to a 120. Someday. I WANT TO KNOW WHATS THE BEST WAY TO MOVE ANEMONES with their foot rooted in the sand and on liverock to the bigger tank?(sorry about the caps lock)

reefscape15
02/20/2009, 06:51 AM
Get ready for a water change on your old tank, and don't suck out any junk, just get nice clean water and put that into your new tank. Try to get the new tank at least 1/3 - 1/2 full with your old tank water (it may take a few of these water changes to do this), then fill the rest with new water and let it run till specific gravity stabalizes. Move sand/rock first and leave for a few days, then move your corals/fish once the tank looks settled enough. I just moved from a 20 to a 54, and it took about a week to get everything moved over. I only lost a small frag cause i droped it and then couldn't find it till it was too late! Good luck and a new tank will make you so happy once you get your stuff in there!

tsprice82
02/20/2009, 12:25 PM
My advise is to go as slow as you can. I rushed the move from my old 75 to 90 and lost all my SPS and a nice frogspawn. +1 on getting the water from your old tank into your new.

mcrist
02/20/2009, 02:52 PM
I moved mine all at once with no issues just don't move the DSB. I didn't reuse any existing tank water and my tank did not recycle. I didn't lose any corals or fish with my move.