PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Malfunction?

Fish'R'Friends7
02/20/2009, 12:59 AM
My Skimmer is releasing a ton of tiny bubbles back into my sump/fuge. The bubbles are coming from the return tube that puts the water back into the sump. I tried rinsing with hot water, but it did not help.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

The skimmer is an ASM-G1X.

Thanks.

Im uploading a picture to Photobucket but it is being slow....

Percula9
02/20/2009, 01:14 AM
Have you put any medicants or other supplements into the water? Is the skimmer producing skimmate? You can put a filter sock on the return from the skimmer to prevent the bubbles from entering the sump.

Fish'R'Friends7
02/20/2009, 01:16 AM
No supplements or medicants.... Skimmer is still producing skimmate, but bubbles are making their way into the display tank.

Dont have a filter sock on hand, anything that I could use from around the house?

Toddrtrex
02/20/2009, 01:26 AM
Mine will sometimes do that when the venturi is clogged. I know that you said you cleaned it will hot water, but did you clean out the nipple of the plastic venturi? I use an old Allen wrench to clean it out -- it gets clogged with dried salt, and hot water doesn't seem to clear it.

Fish'R'Friends7
02/20/2009, 01:38 AM
Ill try that. ^ thanks.

Toddrtrex
02/20/2009, 01:47 AM
And if you happen to have a Dremel, can widen the venturi's nipple hole a bit. I did that with all of mine, and it improved the performance a bit -- and only take a minute to do.

Like this,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/venturi3.jpg