PDA

View Full Version : Craft Store Sea Shells?

jellyfish4me
02/20/2009, 09:41 AM
I just bought 2 bags of assorted small shells from my Hobby Lobby craft store. I need them for my 2 new jawfish and I also think they would be the right size for my blue leg hermits.

I have not added them to the tank yet. I need to wash them first, but am I overlooking something? Some type of contaminent?

kraze3
02/20/2009, 09:43 AM
I got mine from wal-mart. I washed and boiled them before adding to my tank. As long as they arent painted or sealed with anything they should be ok.

jellyfish4me
02/20/2009, 09:47 AM
Thank you for the fast reply! I am anxious to add them. My jawfish arrived on Tuesday. I bought them a bag of crushed coral while I was awaiting their arrival. But I think the pieces are to small. They are the only fish in a 120 gal tank with a 6" sand bed and are NOT settling in very well. I'm hoping these shells will help solve that.

Boiling: What a good idea.

epstein
02/20/2009, 09:52 AM
boil em for a long time......like 10 min......youll see all kinds of crude come off em ....They also make great upgraded homes for teh hermits and save my snails!

Lunabud74
02/20/2009, 10:04 AM
Most craft store shells that are not covered in a clear lacquer do have some type of mineral oil on them. Boiling like previously suggested should work well:)

jellyfish4me
02/20/2009, 04:54 PM
Update: I boiled them for about 20 minutes. There was gunk in there.

Now 1/2 my hermits are sportin' new shells. Now if my jawfish would get in on some of the action!