PDA

View Full Version : Soliciting comments on tank plan

PatSox
02/20/2009, 10:19 AM
I'm about to order the following tank in a 60"x24"x25", and was looking to get input before I go all in.

Nothing too fancy, overflow box with two 1.5" overflows and one 1" return, and a 1" closed loop with one intake, two returns attached to a SCWD.

Any comments, good or bad?

Thanks,
Pete

http://www.isnc.net/web/tankschematic.jpg

qfrisco
02/20/2009, 02:47 PM
I think it looks good, though I don't have experience with closed loops, so I can't comment on that. A couple things to think about:

- for a 60" long tank, some people like to have two overflows, one at each of the back corners. I personally think it's just a preference thing.

- if you ever want to setup a gyre (Jake Adams-type) flow where the flow goes around the tank, and alternates directions, the center overflow would make it tricky to do.

The above are just food for thought. I think your planned setup is fine, either way.

billdogg
02/20/2009, 03:50 PM
I perfer the two seperate overflows as well - yes, it will take up more valuable realestate, but i think its a more effective method to surface skim

BigJay
02/20/2009, 03:57 PM
Sounds good to me.

Any reason you decided on a closed loop instead of powerheads (vortech, tunze) or wave boxes?

PatSox
02/20/2009, 07:57 PM
I toiled over it the closed loop vs. not (I figure any holes through a tank are a potential source of a problem), but I like the idea of not having extra cords or equipment hanging on the inside of the tank. I'm planning to be able to keep the closed loop intakes and returns hidden behind the rock scape.

Thanks,
Pete

TellyFish
02/20/2009, 08:05 PM
Without a more detailed drawing its hard to comment on the specifics, but in general it looks great to me. Is the drawing to scale in any way? I notice the overflow seems pretty low?

PatSox
02/20/2009, 10:23 PM
It's far from perfect, just a quick doodle in mspaint. The top of the overflow box would be about 1" from the top on the real thing.

GSMguy
02/20/2009, 11:06 PM
you should look into an ocean motions unit, scwd are not great products, personally I think you would be better off without the CL.

PatSox
02/21/2009, 06:37 AM
Are you thumbs down on the loop because of the scwd, or avoiding a loop altogether? Any bad experiences I should be aware of?

Thanks
Pete