PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right?

tthayer
02/20/2009, 10:38 AM
Hi All,

I am in the midst of my first tank transfer and from what I have read the following should not occur. Maybe I am wrong. Please let me know.

2 weeks ago I started building a new 90g tank. Currently, I have a sump with a refuge, new crushed coral covered with new live sand, 85 percent new saltwater and 15 percent from my old tank. 3 days ago I checked the water parameters and with the exception of a very slight increase in nitrates and a small calcium deficiency, everything was perfect. Based on this, I moved some pieces of live rock into the tank and checked everything this morning. All was fine except that I noticed that during the transfer, I had inadvertently transferred some snails and some small corals. Specifically a couple of zoo's and and ric.

Based on everything I have read, the tank should not have been ready for these corals but yet they seem to be thriving in there. Does this make any sense at all? Also, if they seem to be doing well, would it make sense at this point to try moving a damsel into the tank as well. I have a pair of damsels and the one is seriously beating up on the other.

Thanks,

Tom

landlord
02/20/2009, 10:42 AM
The transfer of some of the old livesand and saltwater may minimize your cycle. The fact the the rics and zoos look great doesn't mean you are out in the clear. The tank WILL cycle to some extent so I would simply exercise patience before adding fishies

:) Nothing good comes quick

Now might be the perfect time to catch and trade in your damsels for something less agressive too. ;)

fishysteve
02/20/2009, 10:56 AM
I was thinking the same thing landlord. Get the damsels out.

landlord
02/20/2009, 11:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14440578#post14440578 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishysteve
I was thinking the same thing landlord. Get the damsels out.

Word Up!

IslandCrow
02/20/2009, 12:14 PM
Remember that invertebrates are much more tolerant of ammonia than vertebrates, and ammonia is the biggest danger in a new tank. Corals also produce very little waste, so along with a few snails, they aren't contributing very much to the bioload, so the fact that your tank can handle them, doesn't mean it's ready for fish.

The truth is, you may never see the traditional cycle. The nitrogen cycle is generally only pronounced when you start off with uncured rock. There are other more subtle things going on contributing to the overall tank balance, though. I'd hold off on adding any fish until you're ammonia (and nitrites if you're testing for them) is zero, and your nitrates are reasonable (20ppm or less) for at least two weeks straight. As a rule, I also wouldn't add anything until the tank has been up and running for at least a month (preferrably 2).

tthayer
02/20/2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I think the Damsels have to go as well. :)

The Nitrates are at less the 5ppm, Nitrites are 0, and ammonia is 0. That is exactly why I have been wondering about this. About 50 % of the water itself has actually been running in the tank for about 3 weeks now while 15% was added from my old tank and about 35% is new within the last week.

I think I am going to monitor the tank for another 2 weeks or so and if these levels do not change, then I am going to have to assume that it is ready. That will also allow me to do 2 more 10% water changes before I actually introduce the fish. If it does change in any drastic manner, I believe I will wait a bit longer. It may take me 2 weeks to catch the damsels anyways! :)