PDA

View Full Version : Algae problem in Frag tank

jmckdvm
02/20/2009, 11:17 AM
Apparently, nuisance algae can be a problem in a frag tank. My tank is 4' x2' x 8"H, bare-bottom with eggcrate set on 1/2" PVC. Two powerheads create current, plus two returns are connected to a SQUID (alternating flow director). I've heard that eggcrate can leach phosphate which can be a reason for the nuisance hair algae that grows on it.

I am considering a couple of remedies and am wondering if anyone has tried them, or what others think about them:

1) Remove the eggcrate and fill tank with 1-1.5" of coarse sand (like crushed coral) (so powerheads don't disturb sand.) Then, frag plugs can be stuck in sand. One concern is that frags on discs, (or plugs), might sink in sand. So, another thought:

2) Leave eggcrate in place and just fill with coarse sand to level about 1/4" above eggcrate (so eggcrate will be buried and not exposed to light). This way plugs can still be stuck into the eggcrate through the sand.

What do you think of these ideas? Has anyone tried them?

Thanks!
Jim

Willi
02/20/2009, 09:26 PM
I had some algae in my frag tank as well. What worked well for me is to clean egg crate and then when algae started to grow back I added a yellow tang, blue and red hermits, black and white trochus snails. I also thru in a couple of astea snail and have had no problem for months since.

gotasplinter
02/21/2009, 04:53 AM
CUC is the ticket

count2k3
02/21/2009, 05:47 AM
Try a sea hare to eliminate the algae problem. These eat all kinds of nuisance algae. I have a 90 gal. and also had a problem on my zoe frag discs with hair algae and the sea hare ate it down to the roots. Be sure once it has ate all the algae take it back to the store because it will die if it has no algae to eat.