PDA

View Full Version : Seabay Anemone - Pls Help!

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 11:19 AM
I have two seabay anemones. One small(Cosmo) and one large (Wanda). Everyone was fine for a while then Wanda started moving around, she ended up taking Cosmo's spot and Cosmo went under the rock, he is upside down and has been there for 3 days. He is upside down and flat... Today he looks like he is becoming part of the rock (I know, sounds strange), Is he dead? How do I know if he's dead? These are my first Anemones...

Wanda keeps closing now and looking strange. She used to be fully opened and huge. Could something be wrong with her too?

I put up pictures of Cosmo and Wanda. Cosmo is really really hard to see.

Jerm77
02/20/2009, 11:23 AM
what are your tank parameters?

how long have you had them?

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 12:00 PM
I have had Cosmo for about 2 months and Wanda for about 3 weeks. I just spotted the Goby over there picking, so I decided he must be dead, boy, I shouldn't have done that right before lunch. The smell is horrid, what would make him die and do I need to do anything to the tank? Stuff is floating everywhere, the fish are eating some of it....

Jerm77
02/20/2009, 02:07 PM
what were you feeding them? how much light do you have? are your tank parameters in check? have any recent swings in parameters?

Peter Eichler
02/20/2009, 02:15 PM
I'd suggest testing your ammonia and probably doing a water change. JUst an FYI anemones are not for beginners IMO nor are they a good idea in a newer tank or a mixed reef.

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 02:21 PM
Please don't hate me for being uninformed! I am learning that I know less than I thought I did. So I was told that all I needed to get to keep them was a 50/50 light. I went to the fish store a little bit ago and I finaly seem to have gotten someone that wants to be helpful. Apparently I don't have enough light. So I came home to measure the top of the tank because it's a hexagon. I will go back and see what kind of light fixture I need to keep Wanda healthy, however, it that turns out to be too much money, I may have to take Wanda back to the store. Which I don't want to do and I would feel really bad about leaving my Seabae clowns homeless....

shred5
02/20/2009, 02:25 PM
Sebae anemones are not the easiest anemone to keep. Most of the time when you get them they are already bleached or on the decline. There is a anemone forum here which has allot of good info there. It is a good place to start.

Dave

Peter Eichler
02/20/2009, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442036#post14442036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BocaBaby
Please don't hate me for being uninformed! I am learning that I know less than I thought I did. So I was told that all I needed to get to keep them was a 50/50 light. I went to the fish store a little bit ago and I finaly seem to have gotten someone that wants to be helpful. Apparently I don't have enough light. So I came home to measure the top of the tank because it's a hexagon. I will go back and see what kind of light fixture I need to keep Wanda healthy, however, it that turns out to be too much money, I may have to take Wanda back to the store. Which I don't want to do and I would feel really bad about leaving my Seabae clowns homeless....

Don't feel bad, there is a lot of terrible info out there, especially from the local fish store. Hex tanks are pretty tricky to light and you'll probably end up needing to do a metal halide pendant if you want to keep anemones. The size and brand of the tank would help and then I can suggest some lights.

ncjetskier
02/20/2009, 03:15 PM
I have had several seabae anem. Nobody ever told me to feed them gold fish until last year (my tank is over 10 years old). Didn't beleive it until I tried it. Killed the GF then fed it to the anem whole. It ate it right up. The anem is very large now and I feed each anem a gold fish every 3-4 weeks.

Peter Eichler
02/20/2009, 03:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442387#post14442387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ncjetskier
I have had several seabae anem. Nobody ever told me to feed them gold fish until last year (my tank is over 10 years old). Didn't beleive it until I tried it. Killed the GF then fed it to the anem whole. It ate it right up. The anem is very large now and I feed each anem a gold fish every 3-4 weeks.

That's a horrible idea... Anemones are planktivores and rarely would consume a fish in the wild or anything near the size of a goldfish. My anemone would eat a cheerio if I fed it to it, that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Mysis shrimp or small pieces of krill,/squid/etc. is a FAR better food source for anemones.

ncjetskier
02/20/2009, 03:32 PM
That's what I thought, but I have been feeding all my anemonies GF and any small fish that dies in the tank for over a year and it is doing great. Biggest anemonies I have ever had. Sometimes they don't want it (normally if it has only been about 1-2 weeks since the last feeding). Guys at the LFS swear by it and so far, I cannot dispute it. The other things I have read about Seabae is if you purchase them bright white they are already bleached and doomed to die. This is not true, as all my Saebae anem from SWF.com come bright white and do fine. They do turn darker over time.

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 03:38 PM
I just got back from the fish store. I have a new light. My wallet is also a little light.... The tank was given to me, so I don't know a lot about it. It's 45 gal, Oceanic. My water is high in salt and Nitrites (sp), they said to cut back on the feeding a little bit and to take a gal of water out of the tank and a gal of R/O water in. My water came from the Ocean (I live in South Florida) and they said that the salt is usually high. So I will put my new light on, try to save Wanda! Did you see the picture of her, does she look ok? Beside the fact that I was apparently slowly starving her....

schristi69
02/20/2009, 03:40 PM
Anemones planktivores? Where did you get that idea? They can live off of zooanthellae and photosynthesis, but they do eat the occasional fish/fish parts that happen to land in their tentacles. If they expel their zooanthellae and are not fed, then they will probably die. Sebaes are not that pretty white with purple tips you see in the store. They are bleached. A healthy Sebae is a brownish color. Did one of them die? Was not clear. If so then several frequent water changes are in order. Get as many of the parts as you can. A dead nem can send a tank south really fast. Check your ammonia often and run carbon. They are nasty when dead. Beginners guide here http://www.reeftime.com/reef-articles/anemone-articles/begginers-guide-keeping-anemones/11.htm

schristi69
02/20/2009, 03:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442524#post14442524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BocaBaby
I just got back from the fish store. I have a new light. My wallet is also a little light.... The tank was given to me, so I don't know a lot about it. It's 45 gal, Oceanic. My water is high in salt and Nitrites (sp), they said to cut back on the feeding a little bit and to take a gal of water out of the tank and a gal of R/O water in. My water came from the Ocean (I live in South Florida) and they said that the salt is usually high. So I will put my new light on, try to save Wanda! Did you see the picture of her, does she look ok? Beside the fact that I was apparently slowly starving her....

Spend the money and get a refractometer. You should be testing any water you put in your tank for proper salinity at a minimum. You should also be testing for other things like Nitrates (especially if they are high), Phosphates, etc. Since you are new, you have a lot of reading to do. Check out the reefchemistry forum. If your water is crappy, your critters will never be happy....or alive. Check out the articles section here also. Lots of good information you need now.

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 03:54 PM
I thought because it was coming straight from the source (Ocean) that I wouldn't have any issues. Now that I know, I will test more often and do some additional reading.

I did get the dead one out but as I was bringing him to the surface "stuff" went everywhere and now the water is fulls of the particles. I was told to cut back on the feeding for a few days because of the high nitrites. Nitrites are different from nitrates???

schristi69
02/20/2009, 03:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442524#post14442524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BocaBaby

Wanda looks bleached and that means her ability to do photosynthesis has been reduced. Is it attached? If so, that is a good sign. Try feeding bits of shrimp, silversides, etc and see if it will take it. You may have to try several times over several days. If it startes to feed, then give it little pieces every several days. They can be finicky. You mighe have to put some kind of cover over it while feeding as they take food in slow and your clowns may steal it. Careful with the new lights. Don't blast them. Start with a short period and build up over a few days. good luck

schristi69
02/20/2009, 04:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442635#post14442635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BocaBaby
I thought because it was coming straight from the source (Ocean) that I wouldn't have any issues. Now that I know, I will test more often and do some additional reading.

I did get the dead one out but as I was bringing him to the surface "stuff" went everywhere and now the water is fulls of the particles. I was told to cut back on the feeding for a few days because of the high nitrites. Nitrites are different from nitrates???

Yes they are different and both are bad. Ocean water is probably the worst thing you can use in your tank. You do not know what is in it unless it comes from a source that cleans/filters it. I would suggest getting an RO/DI unit and a good quality of synthetic salt. You can then control your chemistry better. You are going to hae an algae problem with high nitrates. Water changes are the usual solution, but if the water you are using has high nitrates to start with.....

That ocean water you are using has fuel oil, waste (human and animal), fertilizer and who knows what in it. The ocean may handle it to a point, but a small tank cannot

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 04:09 PM
Good point about the ocean water, and here I thought I had the advantage by using it... I do have a problem with keeping gaurd long enough for Wanda to eat, the clowns take it away pretty quickly, and my yellow tang has started doing that as well. You mentioned a cover, which was exactly what I was trying to think of, do you have any ideas on what I can use?

betamed
02/20/2009, 04:11 PM
make sure that when you top off water you use RO water and not salt water. Keep in mind any water that evaporates will leave behind salt and increasing salinity. Check out the FMAS forum on this site its full of reefers in south FL.

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 04:16 PM
No, he's not attached, he is actually upside down right now, he's been doing this. Why would he do that?

schristi69
02/20/2009, 04:16 PM
I find Gladware or something like it works well. Drill/punch some holes for flow in it, Put it upside down over the anemone and put a weight like a rock over it. You might have to poke the food into its tentacles a bit. Leave it for an hour or so. Definately you should be topping off evaporation with RO/DI and not salt water. Otherwise you just have a huge slat build up. RO/DI unit and refractometer are pretty much a must have. You sould be able to get RO/DI water from most fish stores. Just bring your own jug. An option till you can get your own unit. Marine fish is not a cheap hobby :D

schristi69
02/20/2009, 04:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442805#post14442805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BocaBaby
No, he's not attached, he is actually upside down right now, he's been doing this. Why would he do that?

If he is not attached to a rock then he is pretty much either a gonner or he is looking for the right place. Anenomes only roam when they are not happy whre they are (flow, light, food source, etc) They should have their foot attached to a rock. If it is just blowing around the tank, not good. Nems and powerheads are not a good combination. You might try putting him on/in a crevice that has moderate light and flow and try to coral him in with rocks or something. Or get a larger plastic container with holes, put some rocks in it, some netting over the top if needed and put your nem in that and see if he will attach. You can try to nurse him back to health that way with out him blowing all over the tank. If he croaks, then easier to remove too. If he attaches, then remove the netting. If he attaches to the container, stick it next to your rocks so he can move from your container to them. He will find his own happy place if he makes it.

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 04:35 PM
He's not blowing around, he's in one spot, for about a week now but he is upside down at the moment. And he could have been searching for light since I didn't have the right light in there until now?? It's odd though that he took the spot where the smaller ane was...

Peter Eichler
02/20/2009, 05:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442534#post14442534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by schristi69
Anemones planktivores? Where did you get that idea? They can live off of zooanthellae and photosynthesis, but they do eat the occasional fish/fish parts that happen to land in their tentacles. If they expel their zooanthellae and are not fed, then they will probably die. Sebaes are not that pretty white with purple tips you see in the store. They are bleached. A healthy Sebae is a brownish color. Did one of them die? Was not clear. If so then several frequent water changes are in order. Get as many of the parts as you can. A dead nem can send a tank south really fast. Check your ammonia often and run carbon. They are nasty when dead. Beginners guide here http://www.reeftime.com/reef-articles/anemone-articles/begginers-guide-keeping-anemones/11.htm

Uhhhh... scientific fact... Anenomes are sessile planktivores. Some believe that anemones can spend so much energy trying to digest large foods that they're far less beneficial than smallers esier digested bits. It's also better for the aquarium and there is less waste in the end. They may be highly heterotrophic but that doesn't mean they're any less of a planktivore.

Peter Eichler
02/20/2009, 06:15 PM

I'm kind of affraid to ask... What light did you end up with?

Also, there's nothing wrong with using natural seawater and it can be a very good source if a few things are considered. You don't want coastal waters that may be more polluted or near any sort of stream, river, runoff, or marina. Also, you don't want to store it for too long without some sort of filtration/aertation. Saying "ocean water is probably the worst thing you can use in your tank." is one of the sillier things I've seen suggested on these forums. But yeah, if you're not sure you're using clean seawater then it's probably best to not use it.

Be careful about what a LFS consider high slainty or specific gravity. They ofter run their systems far too low and at unnatural levels. This can be fine for fish but can be stressful to invertibrates. You should test it on your own... Do you recall what level it was at? One other thing, nitrite isn't even toxic to marine organisms until it reaches very high levels. It's almost pointless to even test it unless it's a new tank and you want to know the cycle has fully completed. On that note, how long has the tank been setup?

Schristi is right about it being a very bad sign that your anemone is upside down and roaming around. It is probably on its way out... It's probably best to not feed a sick/unhappy anemone by the way. A water change would probably be a good idea but it doesn't really sound like you're equipped to do one unless you've recently collected a decent amount of seawater.

Boca, it's just so hard to help you without overhwelming you and not knowing the parameters of your tank.

TWallace
02/20/2009, 06:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442036#post14442036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BocaBaby
I may have to take Wanda back to the store. Which I don't want to do and I would feel really bad about leaving my Seabae clowns homeless....

Just an FYI, clowns will adopt many things as a home other than anemones in captivity. You don't need an anemone. Mine like toadstool leathers the best and occasionally swim through my goniopora.

http://tom-wallace.com/images/reef/022009/clowns_goniopora.jpg

http://tom-wallace.com/images/reef/022009/clowns_toadstool.jpg

They'll take many corals as their home. I've seen them live in plate corals, hammer, frogspawn, torch, toadstool, goniopora, brain (even ones without tentacles), galaxea, zoanthids and many other things.

If you insist on an anemone, get a bulb tentacled anemone that's been split in captivity.

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 07:05 PM
I'm so greatfull for any help! I will buy a testing kit tomorrow. So much to learn!

My light is a Deluxe Series - 4 tube Linear strip "Aqualight" 20 in / 96 watt.

The tank has been set up since end of November, I had damsils and a puffer fish that were doing good. I just got impatient for the things I wanted and must have jumped into the seabae's too quickly. I hope Wanda makes it.... I will not feed her for a while and per the lfs backing off on feeding the rest of the gang. I do like the brighter light, you can see so much better now. I feel so guilty for having the wrong one.

I pulled out 1 gal of water and put in 1 gal of RO water. I'm putting an updated pic of Wanda up. Tell me what you think.

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 07:07 PM
I would rather switch to corals, I like them better!

BocaBaby
02/20/2009, 07:11 PM
Wanda was so big and vibrant when I got her.

BocaBaby
02/21/2009, 06:27 AM
Wanda is flat and upside down, does that mean she is dead?

Icefire
02/21/2009, 09:50 AM
Did you just bought a Power Compact light? if so, you got sold some low light again.. I would take the fixture back and get a Metal Halide for that size of a tank, a 150 or 250 Watts.

Dante_JoseCuerv
02/21/2009, 10:21 AM
Sorry to say this, but Icefire is right, you're gonna need more light than that for sebaes. BTA or LTAs might not mind PC lighting but sebaes... no such luck. I'm wondering if there's another LFS around you as these guys seem to be incompetent and only interested in your money.

BocaBaby
02/21/2009, 12:28 PM
There isn't another one around that I know of, I'll have to dig around and see. It's a 45gal, you don't think that is enough light? How do I know for sure that the anemone is dead?

ncjetskier
02/21/2009, 12:47 PM
Take it out and smell it. That will tell you. Sounds like it's on its way out.

BocaBaby
02/21/2009, 08:22 PM
Wanda has passed. Thank you to everyone that talked to me. I really appreciate it and I'm glad to know that there are people out there that are happy to help! I posted a new thread, help me build a new coral tank. I know, I know, I need to wait a little while.... but how long!!!!

schristi69
02/21/2009, 10:39 PM
Get your tank set up, test kits, skimmer, live rock and let it run. Once your tank cycles and your water params are good, then start accumulating livestock and corals.
About 6 weeks, but could be more or less. Do your research before you do anything. You are definately going to need more light

BocaBaby
02/22/2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the info, do I really need more light? It's a 45gal tank...

Dante_JoseCuerv
02/22/2009, 09:28 AM
For a sebae anemone you're gonna want at least some T5s, if not some MHs over that thing as they require a lot of light. If you're looking for some BTAs though, I've heard of people keeping them under PC lighting before but they would do much better under T5 or MH as well.