PDA

View Full Version : ESV Bionic 2 Part Dosing Calcium/Alkalinity

Mike Murphy
02/20/2009, 01:17 PM
A few months ago I bought this mix from a friend who had stopped using it. It was in the gallon containers and partially used. I have been mixing this on a 50/50 basis but ran out of #1 calcium additive and have about 2-3-cups left of the alkalinity part. I'm not sure that the previous party I got this from had used inappropriate amounts or spilled some of the #1. I went out and bought a new set and added the proper amount of distilled water but I'm stting here with my alkalinity on the low side thinking, "What would be wrong with just using the alkalinity version to bump up my readings." Or does this have to be used together?

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

an411
02/20/2009, 01:30 PM
You don't have to use both. You can use just one to bump the level of whatever is on the low side. 3 things though

1 I hope that you are not mixing them together and putting them in cause they have to be added separately.

2 You shouldn't really need as much alk additive as you do Ca hence the reason why the calcium part is probably used up quicker then the alk.

3 Be sure to dose a little at a time and make sure you test maybe an hour or 2 after you add to check the levels. and do this for everyday till you dial in how much Ca and ALk your tank is using. I recommend getting a ML measuring cup so you can see how many ML you are putting in daily.

fitlerreef
02/20/2009, 01:30 PM
I don't see any problem with this. You should be able to use the alkalinity component to raise your dKH independent from any change in calcium levels. I think that b-ionic is designed to affect alkalinity without changing PH - so if your PH is off you may be better off with a reef buffer.

an411
02/20/2009, 01:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14441674#post14441674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fitlerreef
I don't see any problem with this. You should be able to use the alkalinity component to raise your dKH independent from any change in calcium levels. I think that b-ionic is designed to affect alkalinity without changing PH - so if your PH is off you may be better off with a reef buffer.

Yeah I believe that youa re right with the PH. This is why I am going to start adding kalk to my auto top off to raise the PH a little

Mike Murphy
02/20/2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. No I do not mix them together but had been using on a 50/50 basis when dosing the tank.