PDA

View Full Version : Heated salt water in holdeing container?

an411
02/20/2009, 01:24 PM
I am going to a frag swap and I am bring some buckets of water with me and its probably going to be pretty cold since its winter in the northeast. I was wondering if overheating the water a little to say 86 does anything bad to premixed salt water? by the time that I get there I am sure that the water will be cooler and I plan on bringing some extra colder water to drop the temp if necessary.

fitlerreef
02/20/2009, 01:28 PM
Overheating the water will cause a decrease in its ability to hold oxygen and, as a side effect of this process, may alter the PH of the water. If you overheat and then are able to aerate the water (with a simple air pump and stone for example) at the pickup point, you should be ok. But given that animals will be transported in the water for a distance, it is important to keep enough dissolved oxygen in the water.

asmujica
02/20/2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~CP6111~idCategory~FIMI~category~Miscellaneous-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

mille239
02/20/2009, 01:38 PM
How about a tiny (low watt) aquarium heater plugged into a DC converter in your car? should be cheap insurance to keep the temps in the right range for your trek. Just a thought.

an411
02/20/2009, 02:00 PM
Both are great ideas and fitlerreef thanks for the info glad I asked so i guess overheating is out of the questions and yes you are right I forgot about the livestock that I will be taking with me. lol they are going to be in that water. I think that I am going to end up maybe getting the heater converter thing I would have never thought about that. Also I am not sure how much cooler the water will get driving about an hour with covered 5 gallon buckets