PDA

View Full Version : Need Info On Bubble Tip Anemones

Kevin34
02/20/2009, 01:44 PM
I really want to get a bubble tip for my true percs. preferably a rose bubble tip. Anything special I should know about these? I never really looked into their care too much. I know they need to be spot fed and need high lighting but thats about it. I have 2 250w MH lights over my tank so I think my lighting is fine. How big can they get? do they ship well if I were to order one online? how long should I acclimate it for? are they known for eating fish like carpet anemones are? and is it true that rose bubble tips tend to stay up where as other anemones move around a lot until they find a spot they like? any info is greatly appreciated. thanks

CoRPS
02/20/2009, 01:48 PM
I've heard bubble tips have less of a tendency to move around, but that doesn't mean they don't. They do require high light, spot feeding and can get massive. You're going to want to have your tanks parameters very stable and have a pretty mature tank (6++ months).

Kevin34
02/20/2009, 01:55 PM
my tank is just under a year old. everything is very healthy. only 4 fish right now. not really full of corals either. my clowns seem really bored though and there is nothing I love more than watching clowns swimming around in their anemone.

ds4x4
02/20/2009, 02:02 PM
you should head over to the Anemone and Clownfish Section of RC..

Right Here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36)

Craig Lambert
02/20/2009, 02:07 PM
I have had a RBTA (now a pair) in my tank for 3 years and they have never moved since day 2. You have more than enough light for a RBTA. My RBTA is nearly the size of a dinner plate when stretched out, but he isn't that large all of the time. Here is a series of articles for you:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1381958

SDguy
02/20/2009, 02:08 PM
They need room. Even if they don't move around and sting stuff, they will eventually get big and sting stuff :)

I prefer feeding mine small bits of food rather than large chunks. Easier for them to digest. They also can split when you don't want them too. They are about as demanding as any moderate to high light loving LPS.

Kevin34
02/20/2009, 02:43 PM
thanks for the info everyone. My tank is a 125 and I have the perfect spot for a rbta. hopefully it will stay there. I have koralia powerheads. could these be a threat to an anemone? and if anemones are opportunistic feeders and eat basically anything that brushes against them why do they never eat clowns? is it the clowns special slime coating that lets the amemone know that its a clownfish swimming in it or something?

jbird69
02/20/2009, 03:27 PM
I experienced some difficulty with light acclimation. My light is WAY more intense than my lfs. So, if you can I would suggest treating it like a coral with light acclimation. The problem is they DO move. So the first thing mine did was seek shelter from my "sun". Which ment diving back behind the rocks. At least that was my theory for its behavior.

Jah2707
02/20/2009, 03:31 PM
I got mine about 6 months ago. It moved about 3 inches the first day. It hasn't moved since. It is about 4 times the size it was when I got it. I never thought it was that pretty until I got a 20k light. Wow it really glows now.

Kevin34
02/20/2009, 04:08 PM
has anyone ever seen true percs host a bubble tip?

THE ROOK
02/20/2009, 04:26 PM
When I purchased mine, I got some really good advise.

Place the foot in a med / large crevise or cave so it can retract & feel protected. Well, I held mine there (with gloves) for a few minutes & a month later it's doing well & has not moved.

jbird69
02/20/2009, 04:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14442881#post14442881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THE ROOK
When I purchased mine, I got some really good advise.

Place the foot in a med / large crevise or cave so it can retract & feel protected. Well, I held mine there (with gloves) for a few minutes & a month later it's doing well & has not moved.

I think you got lucky. They arent really in search of a perfect spot to mount their foot, they are searching for a combo of adequate flow and light. Thats why some people have their nem wander all over the tank looking to settle in. I think flow is #1 and light a close second. Theyll mount to your glass if thats where conditions are suitable.