PDA

View Full Version : Tank Drilling ?

t kish
02/20/2009, 03:45 PM
I have a little 55g bowfront tank that I am going to use for a mini reef.

I am having it drilled buy the store were the tank was purchased , but I have a question.

The Tank is 36" L x 22" d and I was wondering if it is best to drill the back in the center of the tank or to just pick a side.
and roughly how far down from the top should it be drilled?

I am sure the guy knows what he is doing but I just want to make sure.

Thanks
Tim K

tbar
02/20/2009, 03:55 PM
I think it should be a inch or two from the top (mines 1.5)and the location just depends on where you want your overflow box or intake pipe to be positioned.

t kish
02/20/2009, 04:01 PM
I was thinking that the overflow would be the most efficient if it were in the middle , is that correct?

Tim K

tbar
02/20/2009, 04:36 PM
I don't really know, they make a lot of tanks with the overflow in the middle but also a lot with only one overflow in the corner it seems. If it was a big advantage they would all be in the middle I would think. Unless they are doing it to make them mostly viewable from three sides. You are talking about skimming efficiency correct? I had mine drilled on the side because I thought I might want to have it viewable on three sides and even through it's not now I like the fact that someday it could be.

t kish
02/20/2009, 04:47 PM
Yes I am talking about skimming efficiency.

Tim k

tsprice82
02/20/2009, 08:35 PM
I just drilled my tank and put the overflow in the middle, it works great there. I don't know what brand of overflow box you plan to use, but I would get it first and measure down to make sure it fits. You are going to love having your tank drilled.