PDA

View Full Version : ok to put carbon in overflow box?

tbar
02/20/2009, 04:25 PM
Don't really want to buy another phosban reactor and I know you can put a mesh bag of carbon in the sump for passive filtration. Also know you don't want to have to much flow as it can break the carbon down and create problems. I have a small return pump which is rated at about 185 gph for the head pressure it's currently at. Putting the mesh bag in the overflow seems like it would be okay most of the flow is at the surface in the box I would think.

reefscape15
02/20/2009, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. you should really mechanically filter your water somehow before you run it through carbon. Especially in an overflow it would get clogged up quick and stop working efficiantly

AugustWest
02/20/2009, 09:43 PM
I have been using carbon (in a media bag) inside my overflow for years w/o problems. Go for it.

Jenisiz
02/20/2009, 10:35 PM
Depends on the type of setup you have. If you're down pipe is elevated, you may not have a decent amount of flow if it sits at the bottom. This won't cause any real problems, but it won't help that much either.

tbar
02/20/2009, 10:55 PM
The pipe is elevated some I thought this would be good as I am concerned about to much flow. I don't have a lot like I said (Flow) and think it would be better in a mesh bag in the overflow as it would get some flow and be better then sitting in the sump passive. My concern is if it's to much it causes it to break down or dissolve I believe which is not good. I think I might try it but lift it out periodically to check and verify that's not happening.

mat167
02/20/2009, 11:45 PM
Media reactors are cheap and work incredibly well. I wouldn't say they're a necessity but they're definitely a no-nonsense solution. If they're still too pricey, you can get a HOB filter. I wouldn't run carbon in the overflow just because there's too much bypass. The few outer millimeters of the carbon might get some action but most of it will be fairly useless. Won't really be harmful, it's just a more inefficient way.

Ritten
02/20/2009, 11:52 PM
tbar, to get your carbon closer to the output, can you take a plastic cup or something and cut the bottom out, place the carbon inside in your media bag and place it under the output so the water is flowing through it? If what I'm trying to say makes sense.

mat167
02/21/2009, 12:04 PM
that's a good solution also

tbar
02/21/2009, 02:57 PM
Would that not be to much flow? I just started using a filter sock again so my output is going in there. I have heard before that you can just put it in a filter sock. I don't want to do that as plan to change the sock every 2-3 days. I think I will do the overflow as most people seem to think the problem would be it not being as efficient because it won't be getting enough flow. My whole concern was getting too much flow. I have had the mesh bag laying in sump before and think this will be more efficient then that. I have had a large bottle of carbon sitting on the shelve for a year which isn't very efficient at all.

mat167
02/23/2009, 10:45 PM
I have had a large bottle of carbon sitting on the shelve for a year which isn't very efficient at all
When you put it that way, any solution is better =P. Best way to find out which you like best is to try them all. Experiment a little bit.

tkeracer619
02/24/2009, 09:52 AM
I would be worried that something would shift and clog the drain.

john rochon
02/24/2009, 10:33 AM
carbon needs mechanical filtration to make it work decently, as mentioned. without this, carbon will be useless fast. the pores clog. the passive idea does not work well at all.

jbird69
02/24/2009, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14470955#post14470955 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by john rochon
carbon needs mechanical filtration to make it work decently, as mentioned. without this, carbon will be useless fast. the pores clog. the passive idea does not work well at all.

John
can you elaborate on this please?

reefscape15
02/24/2009, 11:37 AM
You need to filter out any particles with filter floss, skimmer, etc., before you run your water through the carbon. Any waste solids from your tank that come in contact with your carbon will clog the pores on the outside, as john said. So the idea of putting your carbon in an overflow, where the highest amount of solids is expelled, is kind of pointless. The carbon will become clogged quickly and will quit working. If you have a sump, run your filter sock and floss first in line, then your skimmer, then carbon, then refugium. That way you will have the cleanest water entering your fuge, or your display if you don't have a fuge. Hope this clears it up a little bit!

MrPike
02/24/2009, 12:16 PM
I would be worried that something would shift and clog the drain.

I have experienced this first hand - Make sure the water isnt required to flow through the carbon to exit the overflow or in a few days your going to have a flood on your hands. Sitting passively in overflow box might be ok though..