PDA

View Full Version : Basement Sump Temperature Reduction?

TheDogFather
02/20/2009, 06:32 PM
Has anyone with a basement sump (Tank on main floor) noticed a significant reduction in water temperature?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm in the process of setting up a main floor DT with a basement sump and was wondering if I'll need a chiller this summer.

My basement is a constant 65F in winter and around 75F in summer. Our living room can go up to 100F in summer if I forget to turn on the A/C...

Thanks!

-TDF

Peter Eichler
02/20/2009, 06:40 PM
Keep the AC on all summer, just set the thermostat a little higher when it's not that hot out...

TheDogFather
02/20/2009, 06:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14443873#post14443873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
Keep the AC on all summer, just set the thermostat a little higher when it's not that hot out...

Thanks, having the A/C on in the summer is the plan all along, except for the rare occasion that the thermostat is turned off by human error... I was looking for feedback from people who have a basement sump and if they require a chiller or not.

Peter Eichler
02/20/2009, 06:51 PM
Most aqauiriums regardless of where they are don't require a chiller. With people finally waking up and realizing that higher temps and even fluctuations are not only acceptable but more natural, chillers are almost obsolete IMO. In fact I'd even go to as far as saying they're somewhat harmful if used to maintain the exact same temperature at all times. Lastly, you'd be surpised how much cooling a couple fans aimed at the surface of the water can provide.

Korrine
02/20/2009, 07:47 PM
I did a tank tour w/my reef club and one had his sump sitting right on the cement floor. I believe it was thought that it helped. He has a small fish room w/the tank enclosed in it around huge MH lights and other equipment.

xJake
02/20/2009, 08:02 PM
A basement sump would definitely help with cooling, but there are a few other options as well... http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/nftt/index.php

TheDogFather
02/20/2009, 08:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14444482#post14444482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xJake
A basement sump would definitely help with cooling, but there are a few other options as well... http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/nftt/index.php

Thanks. I read that article earlier today as well.