PDA

View Full Version : looking for setup help with rocks

96p993
02/20/2009, 06:56 PM
I am preparing to setup my 90 gallon rimless but Im looking for a bit of help on setting up the rock and the sand...Im going to run a 3-4 DSB but Im not sure if I want to place the rock directly on the sand or build a PVC holding rack for the rocks...I was hoping to see some pics and get some opinions on how well this works and what you would do differently...I have already come up with my aquascaping so now all I need to do is build the rack if it is worthwhile.

Rouselb
02/20/2009, 07:47 PM
I would get some acrylic rod and put 3 rods into each rock structure to keep it raised up. I personally just lay my rock on the substrate. But i have seen very cool setups with rod. Pillar thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=746318&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

jer77
02/20/2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, there are many different tricks to aquascaping. Some people I have seen use pvc and eggcrate but hide it well under the rocks so you can't even tell its there. It makes a hidden little spot for fish and inverts too. I lay the rocks on the sand and have not tried other methods in any large tank.

reefscape15
02/20/2009, 08:20 PM
I would recommend putting your rock in an empty tank first, then add the sand after. It might cover up a tiny bit of your rock, but if you get any fish that dig, or other creatures that dig, there's less of a chance of your rock shifting. If you are going to do a very high rock wall, i think PVC is about the easiest way to brace your rock. Just drill the PVC and cut to size how you want it to go, and use zip-ties to hold the rock in place. My 54gal in my gallery is braced using PVC and it's very sturdy