PDA

View Full Version : tips on moving to larger tank.

wnaing
02/21/2009, 12:49 AM
I am moving from 90 g to 125 g due to the overgrowth of my tangs. I am currently cycling the new 125 g with a new water, some new sand and some base rock and leave the old tank alone. When I move the live sand/live rock, should I move the fish and coral at the same time or wait a few days? If I wait for a few days, then my fish and coral will not have any LS/LR in the old tank. Would that be OK? Should I bring any water from old 90 g to new 125 g? If so, about how many percentage? Thank you.

BuddhaKiss
02/21/2009, 03:14 AM
I let the tank settle down for a few hours to let it clear up a bit and put the corals in first, then the fish. I just didn't like the idea of leaving them in bins for too long. Everything lived, except for a torch coral. As far as the water, I used as much water from my old tank as I could for stability's sake.

James983
02/21/2009, 05:04 AM
When I upgrade from a 45 to a 150 I did the same as you. I set up the new tank, bought some new LR that was not fully cured and I used that to cycle the tank. Then on moving day all the fish, corals and LR moved into their new home. The only thing I did not move was the live sand. I was afraid that I would release nitrates. I did however use several cups of live sand to seed the new tank. I tried to skim like the first inch of sand from the old tank. I know others have used their entire old sand bed, but thats the way I went. Randy Holmes from the Chemistry Forum advised that is the safest bet as well.

wnaing
02/21/2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.