PDA

View Full Version : yellowtail damsel with green chromis

buzzer
02/21/2009, 06:41 AM
I have a 67 gallon softie reef with 1 midas blenny, 1 black & white perc , 1 lemonpeel angel ,3 green chromis and a royal gramma and was wanting to add a yellowtail damsel and would like to hear your thoughts on whether the green chromis will cause an issue.
Also would it be best to add one two or three to the tank?

DEXNC
02/21/2009, 07:51 AM
actually the yellowtail is the one that will create a problem, and you will regret that you ever put one in your tank. it will become very agressive.

spleify
02/21/2009, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14447064#post14447064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DEXNC
actually the yellowtail is the one that will create a problem, and you will regret that you ever put one in your tank. it will become very agressive.

I have heard this from so many people, and yet I have had one in evert tank I have ever had. I currently have two tanks set up right now, and have one in each tank. One of the tanks has 3 blue chromis in it too and absolutely no issues.

Inhabitants in one tank;

1 yellow tail blue damsel
3 green chromis
1 true perc
1 false perc
1 six line wrasse.
1 yelllow damsel.

Never had a problem with the damsels, and I think the yellow tails are very pretty fish.

JMO/E

Good luck and happy reefing

Spleify

DEXNC
02/21/2009, 09:12 AM
well the problem with most damsels is that they are very territorial and that brings on agression, i spend a great deal of time fishing other fish out of the overflow that my damsels had chased there, even had some carpet surfers because of those little buggers.

fasteddie99
02/21/2009, 09:29 AM
I learned my lesson with Damsels. However, I still have 3 of them in my 55g. Fortunately they get along fairly well in thier community. I have a royal damsel, a 4 striped, and a yellow tail.

I can tell you this much though, the yellow tail is the smallest fish in the whole tank, but by far is the most aggresive. He has "his" own rock that he protects fiercely.

If you end up getting a yellow tail, I would only get one, I had 2 and they absolutely hated each other. Good luck.

Eddie

buzzer
02/21/2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks all for the replies.
I bought an azure damsel in the end (Chrysiptera hemicyanea)
Pretty much the same temperamant I believe as the yellowtail.
When I first put the little fellow in the tank my lemonpeel and the female chromis tried to chase him about the tank but he seemed to pretty much stand his ground although he did swim away a few times.
After the first hour or so peace came back to the tank and hopefully that will remain.

DEXNC
02/21/2009, 04:46 PM
good luck