PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with Octopus Protein Skimmer

ncjetskier
02/21/2009, 08:24 AM
I recently purchased (3 weeks ago) a MSX 200 protein skimmer. It sits in my 20 gal long sump and I use a auto top off which keeps my water within 1/8" the same water level at all times. There is not any wave action in the sump at all. My problem is the skimmer level is very inconsistant. When I set the level 1/2 way up the the skimmer cup, I will check it an hour later and it is at the same level. The next morning, it is overflowing into the cup. I just cannot get the skimmer to be consistant. I am using the pinwheel and not the mesh wheel. Water level in sump is 8 inches. Any ideas?

synofreak
02/21/2009, 08:44 AM
Your sump has no baffles? Need to keep skimmer section seperate from return, so the evaporation happens in the return section. Never seen an ATO keep water within 1/8 inch? I run mine in 9" of water. The skimmer is as consistant as my water chemistry. Got a pic of how its setup, especially the skimmer return?

jbird69
02/21/2009, 08:47 AM
it needs to break in.

ncjetskier
02/21/2009, 09:00 AM
Yes the ATO is very sensitive (autotopoff.com) which does not use a switch rather magnets on a float. The water level is very constant, so evaporation is not an issue. You brought up a good point, maybe 8 inches is not enough???? Also, how long is break in and what changes during break in? Thanks for the help.

GSMguy
02/21/2009, 09:07 AM
2 weeks to break in leave the wedgepipe open for now.

Opes
02/21/2009, 09:09 AM
Also, once it breaks in I have found mine skims much better with the water level at the bottom of the cup. I think half way up the cup is too high.

GSMguy
02/21/2009, 09:13 AM
yes that is too high, unless your using your skimmer for water changes.

OneReef
02/21/2009, 09:19 AM
Is your bottom of the output pipe above or below the water line where the water goes out of the skimmer?

ncjetskier
02/21/2009, 09:32 AM
One Reef-not sure what you are asking. The output pipe of the skimmer is in about 7 inches of water. The pump back to the aquarium (a large powerhead) is about level as the output pipe of the skimmer. The skimmer has been working for about 3 weeks now, so it should be broke in???

ssamick
02/21/2009, 09:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14447261#post14447261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by synofreak
Your sump has no baffles? Need to keep skimmer section seperate from return, so the evaporation happens in the return section. Never seen an ATO keep water within 1/8 inch? I run mine in 9" of water. The skimmer is as consistant as my water chemistry. Got a pic of how its setup, especially the skimmer return?
Try the Osmalator

OneReef
02/21/2009, 09:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14447523#post14447523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ncjetskier
One Reef-not sure what you are asking. The output pipe of the skimmer is in about 7 inches of water. The pump back to the aquarium (a large powerhead) is about level as the output pipe of the skimmer. The skimmer has been working for about 3 weeks now, so it should be broke in???

I am talking about the very end of the output pipe. The one that comes out of the skimmer and after the elbow bend, it goes downward, and all the water exiting the skimmer is flowing out of the end of the pipe. Is the very end of that pipe submerged in the water, or is the end of it above the water line?

ncjetskier
02/21/2009, 10:30 AM
submerged in about 7 inches of water. Pointing straight down to the bottom of the sump. Skimmer is in about 8" of water and the outlet pipe is about 1 inch from the bottom of the sump and skimmer.

GSMguy
02/21/2009, 10:38 AM
take the pipe pointing down off.

synofreak
02/21/2009, 10:38 AM
A pic of the output would be best. I did not follow directions for the output. I used the after 90 tube for the first riser to the T, and use no tube after the 90 output(If I remember the peices correctly). This leaves 1 PVC straight output tube NOT in use. I turn the last 90 so some of it is completely outta water(about 10-20%). You definatly need to run it full open for around a month. Your output pipe is definatly way too submerged.

OneReef
02/21/2009, 10:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14447855#post14447855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ncjetskier
submerged in about 7 inches of water. Pointing straight down to the bottom of the sump. Skimmer is in about 8" of water and the outlet pipe is about 1 inch from the bottom of the sump and skimmer.

One thought is to shorten the output pipe to where it is above the water line. Some people rotate it out, to where some of the bottom lip is above the waterline. It puts less back pressure on the skimmer, and you will probably see more consistent levels. Just something to try. I have mine rotated to where about 1/4 of the bottom edge is above the water. Enough to where air can get in and break 'siphon', but not so much as to where you hear alot of splashing water.

I just went back and looked at mine, and I had removed the bottom output pipe completely, and just have the bottom of the elbow rotated to partly be in, and partly be out of the water.

ncjetskier
02/21/2009, 10:57 AM
Sure would have been nice to get operating instructions with the unit. Thanks for the help. I will remove the down pipe and report back.

GSMguy
02/21/2009, 11:07 AM
Off topic; What kind of ski do you ride? I got a Honda f15 last summer, can't wait to get back on it.

ncjetskier
02/21/2009, 11:18 AM
It is an old Yamaha 2000 GP1200r. Redid the jetting, shaved the heads, redid the exhaust, high output ignition system and got it to go 71 MPH (by GPS - not the dreamo Meter). I just replaced the engine (OUCH). I did ride the ski from Jacksonville NC to Key West. Took 3 1/2 days. Was a great ride.

macreefster
02/21/2009, 11:30 AM
i went through the same thing with mine until it broke in. not sure if yours is an external, mine is and i just put a ball valve on the supply line from the feed pump to control the amount of water going into it and that worked until it broke in. its been running flawlessly for a year now.

GSMguy
02/21/2009, 11:32 AM
he has an MSX like the octo extreme its an in sump skimmer no feed pump..