PDA

View Full Version : I have a leak and need help ASAP

swpassion
02/21/2009, 08:35 PM
I just set up a RR 210, the bulkheads all have slow leaks, I tried using a putty I got from a fish store, but the leak continues. It was not leaking when I picked it up but now it is. I have a container under it and it is a slow drip not a steady leak. I am at a loss on what to do and now I have this putty all over the bottom I will need to get off to do anything.

chatyak
02/21/2009, 08:39 PM
Well I use a HOB so I'm not well versed in the drilling department. My only idea though is that somewhere in the bulkhead/seal something is not working correctly... did you test the tank first for leaks? You said it was not leaking when u picked it up... from who? A previous owner?

Bonneville08
02/21/2009, 08:39 PM
If its still possible, I would break down the bulkheads, clean the area, and remake the fittings. Even if you get it almost stopped, the salt creep will wick water out of the fittings forever IMO. I'm sorry I don't have better news. Maybe someone else has a quick fix.
Good luck

swpassion
02/21/2009, 08:42 PM
I bought it used Friday, it was up and running when I got it. I emptied it out and had to take the bulkheads off to move it.

khusson1
02/21/2009, 08:42 PM
maybe not a quick fix but a small suggestion: if the nuts on the underside are tightened too tight it will skwish the rubber washer out on the inside of the O.F. Try loosening them slightly or maybe they're too loose. Did you try tightening them a hair?

Hop
02/21/2009, 08:43 PM
You get the washer on the right side of each bulkhead? I would absolutely not try to fix them with putty... Tear it down as needed and fix them right;)

swpassion
02/21/2009, 08:43 PM
I did tightem them, maybe too much. I cranked on the pretty good.

khusson1
02/21/2009, 08:47 PM
good part is, you should only hav to drain the water thats in the over flow. Also, did you use teflon tape on the treads? I had a similar problem with the used oceanic sump I have. It had a bulkhead for an external pump and the teflon tape the last guy used was a crappy job and it had a very slight leak. I applied more tape and problem fixed. So are you sure its from the seal against the glass or could the water be leaking down the treads?

khusson1
02/21/2009, 08:48 PM
My O.F. kit said hand tighten the nuts until they're SNUG. Then tighten 1/4 turn and thats it!

Tylt33
02/21/2009, 09:09 PM
Teflon tape...

THE ROOK
02/21/2009, 09:35 PM
I had the exact same problem. Tried to re-use bulkheads when i bought my tank used. Waste of time.

This is the only way to fix correctly:
1. buy all new bulkheads - they're only $5-$10 each.
2. Pour water down overflows (with bulkheads removed) into a bucket.
3. Wipe inside of glass well
4. Install new bulkheads with flange & gasket inside tank
5. Only hand tight + 1/4 turn (as mentioned)
6. Do not use any type of sealer. No tape, No silicone, Nothing.

Trust me you'll kick yourself if you keep messing with used bulkheads. They're just plastic & once over-tightened, they rarely seal right again.

Hop
02/21/2009, 09:46 PM
Pretty much agree with THE ROOK except I would buy quality sch 80 bulkheads... They may run quite a bit more than 5-10 bucks, but are well worth it;)

THE ROOK
02/21/2009, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately, Sch 80 bulkheads use a larger diameter hole generally.

Here's a website that sells them & also gives hole sizes

http://savko.com/PartList.asp?pgid=2&ptid=6

swpassion
02/21/2009, 11:30 PM
The ones without the putty are fixed, I did over tighten them I think. I took them back out, cleaned the gaskets well and the bottome of the overflows, put it bach together and no more issues, BUT the ones with utty are a real issue. The stuff dried hard as a rock and I can not get it off to remove the bulkheads, I tried using a screwdriver to get it off and it is not going anywhere. I hope salt creep will resolve this because now I am stuck, guess I should not have listened to the fish store. I have room to put a 20 gallon container under it to collect the drips, but this is not how I wanted my first large and first RR tank to be. Not cure what this putty is made of but is is SOLID now.

Whys
02/22/2009, 07:09 AM
What is the name of the putty?

60Cubed
02/22/2009, 07:52 AM
You should never need teflon tape if a bulkhead is installed properly. That is not an opinion either........that is a fact!

THE ROOK
02/22/2009, 08:22 AM
swpassion - That same putty was on the theads on one of my bulkheads when I got my tank. Stuff is rock hard. I would not advise on chiseling or prying on it. You could crack the glass.

You need to cut it off. I took my tank back down, flipped it on it's side & 30 seconds with a sawsall it was done.

Granted it was 4 more hours to set the tank back up but I have not had a leak since.

drparker
02/22/2009, 08:33 AM
I did tightem them, maybe too much. I cranked on the pretty good. I noticed that some bulkheads are made from a harder plastic than others. I tightened a really hard plastic bulkhead I was putting on a bucket, had to crank it because of the curve. Four hours after setting it up that bulk head started leaking, the nut had cracked from the stress overtime. A lot LFS especially the ones that run a service for tank maintenance will have bulkheads in the back so ask around if you need it today and can't wait for shipping.

swpassion
02/22/2009, 10:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14453506#post14453506 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
What is the name of the putty?

I think it was aqua mend.

khusson1
02/22/2009, 10:05 AM
i agree with everyone above. Main point, though: Fix it right, and right now! That leak WILL NOT resolve itself. You need to find out what kind of putty was used. There's always something that can be done to remove it. Might be a b*$ch to do, but it can be done. Is there anyway that you can use a dremel CAREFULLY and cut the nut off and then pull the bulkhead out ??? And replace with a new one of course.