PDA

View Full Version : What grain size of substrate should i use for SPS?

unbreakable
02/21/2009, 08:45 PM
Going to replace the sugar fine sand I have and was wondering what I could that wont require me to clean it? I still use it for my wrasses that I have

would this be okay?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C-RSAND40&Category_Code=Substrates

sps1-2-b
02/21/2009, 10:35 PM
The special grade grain is ideal imo. I also have sugar sized grain in my sps and hate it. Big mistake. My cousin has the special grade and it doesn't seem to blow around.

1fishkeeper
02/21/2009, 10:58 PM
I made that same mistake with the sugar sand. Im slowly changing it out for a mix of special grade and reef floor mix.

Reefer08
02/21/2009, 11:48 PM
anyone know if fiji pink by caribsea is too fine for having vortechs?

icedgxe
02/22/2009, 12:04 AM
It depends on what size tank and placement of the vortech etc. In my 125 I have two koralia 2, mag 18 return, and a vortech mp40w and my sand is just fine. I use Fiji pink btw.

Oldude
02/22/2009, 12:09 AM
I use a course grain sand and in high flow areas where I just can't keep sand of any grit I dump a bunch of rubble in those trouble spots and it looks good, natural and stays put.

Todd March
02/22/2009, 12:55 AM
I made the perfect sized sand by mixing this:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TE-TE03613M30&Category_Code=Substrates

With this:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TE-TE03616R30&Category_Code=Substrates

End product is 2mm-3.5mm, not too big, not too small. Has been a great size for sand dwelling critters, mini brittles to burrowing fish. My Vortech on high moved the center of the sandbed around for a month or so, until it got coated with a nice coating of organics, but it never moves around now.

I highly recommend these Tropic Eden sand products over the CaribSea (even if you have to spring for shippng from PA). Tropic Eden's argonite products are much cleaner than CaribSeas, required much less cleaning, and were much more uniform in size and color. After years of using CaribSea, the Tropic Eden surprised me by showing me how clean and nice sand can be. I also soaked it RO/DI water for a couple of weeks, changing the water every other day or so, and PO4's were at zero when added to the tank....

unbreakable
02/22/2009, 10:09 AM
Could I use Tropic Eden's Reeflakes (aragonite flakes, 3.5mm) 30lb alone in my tank? My vortechs have a wicked undertow in my 75g and will just suck in the substrate and blow it across the tank.

Seems like either the TE Reefflakes, or the or Special Grade is ideal. I like the look of the reefflakes better though

Todd March
02/22/2009, 11:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14454359#post14454359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unbreakable
Could I use Tropic Eden's Reeflakes (aragonite flakes, 3.5mm) 30lb alone in my tank? My vortechs have a wicked undertow in my 75g and will just suck in the substrate and blow it across the tank.

Seems like either the TE Reefflakes, or the or Special Grade is ideal. I like the look of the reefflakes better though

Yeah, that should be fine... I might stear away from sandbed fish, like digging gobies and jawfish and such, though they might be okay, but usually larger grains are really hard on them...

The undertow is what moved my Tropic Eden mix around too; but like I said, once the substrate got covered with organics (4-6 weeks) that just completely stopped...