PDA

View Full Version : Help Selecting new Nano Aquarium

davidungaro
02/22/2009, 06:51 AM
So I admit I am new to reefs. Which is why I am here I suppose :)

Currently I just keep a freshwater tank - and I am looking to get a reef setup. Due to space considerations, and negotiations with the wife, I am limited to a nano setup in the 20-30 gallon range.

I was at my LFS yesterday, in Garner, NC and got a ton of great information from the owner there. She was great!

My choices are:
[list=1]
Oceanic BioCube 29
JBJ Nano 28 w/ HQI
EcoCube
[/list=1]

1. My LFS sells the BioCubes and they look great. I've read good things on the forums about them and they look to be modifyable (pumps, powerhead, skimmer, etc).
QUESTION: Am I limited with the species of coral/inverts that I can keep in the BioCube because of the light setup that comes standard?

2. The Nano with HQI lights is more expensive than the BioCube but has what appears to be a much better lighting system.
QUESTION: With the higher power lights will I run into a situation where the water is too warm and I need to add a (costly?) chiller into the equation?

3. EcoCubes can come with HQI pendants or Nova Extreme T-5 units to go above them for a better lighting situation. I am not sure I like the open-top design - seems like a recipe for disaster.
QUESTION: Are these "open top" or is there a glass cover across the entire cube?

I want to get into the hobby but I don't want to limit myself with the choice I make right now. If the Nano w/ HQI lights is the best choice, but I need a chiller - then I'll just build it out that way to start and spend a bit more money (don't want to but will).

Looking to the power of the internet / forums to help me decide.

THANKS!

David
Raleigh, NC

Fish_wiz2
02/22/2009, 07:12 AM
I like the JBJ 28 for what it includes. it has most of the advance features a new reefer would need eventually while all at once. the heating is an issue but modding with some fans and an ATO (auto top off) will do you good. but the oceanic is better built, with some good equipment and modding that tank can get you far (though you'll need to go open top with a MH on it which is fine-no it will not call for trouble as it actually helps a ton). Good Luck, Wiz ;)

davidungaro
02/22/2009, 07:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14453513#post14453513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fish_wiz2
I like the JBJ 28 for what it includes. it has most of the advance features a new reefer would need eventually while all at once. the heating is an issue but modding with some fans and an ATO (auto top off) will do you good. but the oceanic is better built, with some good equipment and modding that tank can get you far (though you'll need to go open top with a MH on it which is fine-no it will not call for trouble as it actually helps a ton). Good Luck, Wiz ;)

Wiz

Thanks for a quick reply.

A couple follow-ups. For the JBJ 28 - what fan mods are required (can you post a link?). Want to make sure it's within my capability.

As for topen-topping the BioCube - that seems like it defeats the purpose of the unit - I like the unit because of the look of the all-inclusive top.

So what about the EcoCubes? They are square, open-top 24ish gallon units - F&S has one with a Nove Extreme T-5 light (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+19863&pcatid=19863). I suppose I could get over the open-top or even fashion a glass top/canopy for it.

Maybe I should scrap the idea of an all-in-one and build a tank??? I just don't want to drop $500 or $1000 now and be limited in what I can stock it with.

thegrun
02/22/2009, 07:36 AM
I have a JBJ 28 HQI tank. It is a great tank, but unless you keep your house air conditioned 24/7 during the summer, you will most likely need a chiller. Check out Ebay, there are some great deals available on all the tanks you listed.

gnorts
02/22/2009, 07:39 AM
Well the thing with the open top is a benefit. It allows the heat from the MH to escape from the tank. It also allows for vital gases to exchange easier through the water. I actually prefer the open top look when cleaned up it looks real nice.

davidungaro
02/22/2009, 08:03 AM
I'm actually leaning towards this tank - 34G Solana with Nova Extreme T5HO.

http://*******.com/Solana34g

With that light will I be able to keep most species of coral, inverts? I am definately wanting anemone and clam at a minimum.

Anyone with experience with this tank?

davidungaro
02/22/2009, 08:08 AM
If I do go with the Solana tank - I assume I'll need some extra - powerheads and/or wavemakers right??

Majority_Rules
02/23/2009, 01:10 AM
I suggest the Solana as well. You wont have the heat issue as you would with the JBJ 28g. I'd imagine even if you got the JBJ you'd still need to get an extra powerhead. You can get
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=HD19101&child=HD19501&utm_source=mdcsegooglebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=HD19501&utm_content=HydorKoraliaNanoMiniPumpPowerhead240gph&utm_campaign=mdcse&site=google_base
I plan on getting the one or two. Shop around though I think you can find them cheaper somewhere else.

Johnny C
02/23/2009, 01:35 AM
+1 for the Solana, almost wish I would've bought one!

If you haven't seen one in person, they're gorgous tanks! GL! ;)

davidungaro
02/23/2009, 05:15 AM
Thanks all! Everyone here has been most helpful. I am heading out *today* to look at and pickup the Solana if they have the stand in the color (the wife) wants :)