PDA

View Full Version : Another Xenia Story

Hampton
02/22/2009, 12:34 PM
Pink Pulsating Xenia in an SPS tank. I have really begun to import SPS, so I am working extra hard to clean up the water. One day last week, I woke up to find white, thick, gooey, splooge throughout my 90 gallon tank.

I assumed I had coral wars going on all night. Since then, my Xenia has withered to the point where it's like little bumps on a rock. I have had this happen before, and it came back to a moderately size colony.

I'm wondering if it may have been the Xenia that spooged the tank in an effort to expel some unwanted chemical, or if the spooge killed the Xenia off. Either way, I'm sure it'll be back, but my water is going to stay clean from now on, so I don't think it'll thrive.

I have been treating the tank with 1/4 tsp buffered Vit C twice a day for a couple of weeks. Since then, the skimmer has begun to produce very well again (like when the water was less pure). The skimmate stinks again too, so, I think my water is getting cleaner than ever. I am also growing a small algae skimmer in the sump and have started filtering 100% of the overflow water through the algae skimmer and then a filter pad which I change twice a day.

I guess it's probably a pretty good shock to the system, but, some SPS I've had for 3 years are beginning to show colors that I've never seen. Hopefully, it'll continue, but the Xenia may have paid the price.