PDA

View Full Version : pump placement

DSP
03/01/2003, 11:15 AM
Roger,

I am thinking of buying two 6000 Streams with the controller when they become available. Currently I have four maxi-jet 1200 on a wave timer placed in the back corners of my tank and pointing directly at some of my acros. If I were to replace these with the 6000's this would mean that the acros would be around 3 or 4 inches from the pumps. They seem to do great this close to the maxi-jets, but I am concerned that the flow from the 6000's would be too much flow for them.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Dave

rvitko
03/01/2003, 08:54 PM
The Stream output while great in volume is very diffuse, it exits a 2" nozzle. The narrow jet of most commercial pumps is the biological equivalent of being dragged behind a car, the force is high in localized area and has an associated shearing force. While 4" is a close proximity and a coral will have to adjust to a change in flow, once acclimated this is a far better and more natural flow condition that what you have now. The flow even at 1850gph which is the maximum of this pump will not even push your hand if lightly held in front of it, compare this to trying to plug your current pump with a finger and you can see the difference in force. It is a more similar water motion to waving your hand in the aquarium.

DSP
03/02/2003, 05:41 PM
Thanks Roger, that's what I figured, but wanted to hear it from someone with experience with these pumps. I'll be looking forward to them coming out later this month. Which holder device extension do you use for a 120 gal. All-Glass aquarium?

rvitko
03/02/2003, 08:56 PM
You will need a kit 3000.244 for each pump, I don't understand why but everyone thinks they are hard to assemble, the fastner looks just like an old wood clamp with two screws and if you understand wood clamps it is easy. When you get them and have any trouble call or post on the forum and we will get you squared away.