PDA

View Full Version : Identify this Seaweed/Algae

porschefan
02/23/2009, 11:47 AM
Hey guys

I've got an algae that looks more like seaweed (yes i realize they are the same thing)

Its a pale brown colour and came 'free' on the live rock (although it didn't look like this when i bought it)

It seems pretty hardy and will even grow if stuck to the glass on the back.

It there something that will eat it ? neither my clowns, snails,crabs, shrimp are interested or should i put the rock in a light tight bucket for a couple of weeks.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww346/porschefan931/RockwithAlgae.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww346/porschefan931/Closeup.jpg

Any pointers would be appreciated

phish guy
02/23/2009, 12:13 PM
i would think an algae blenny of some sort would do it. lawnmower blennies (see avatar) have great personalities

pledosophy
02/23/2009, 12:19 PM
looks like a species of dictyota.

I don't know of much that eats it, but maybe having an ID would help you out.

If it were me I'd pull the rock. Depending on what species of dictyota that is depends on how fast that one will grow. I planted some in my algae tank and it is fairly slow growing, but there is a lot of competitiont here as well. Some species can grow very fast and take over a system. I just wouldn't play with it myself. A bit of work now could save you hours and hours down the road. Just my .02.

Whisperer
02/23/2009, 01:00 PM
That kind of algae spreads very quickly. DO not clean the rock inside the tank because any broken pieces will attach to the rock/powerheads and grow to new patches. I know nothing that consumes them.

porschefan
02/23/2009, 01:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14463476#post14463476 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whisperer
That kind of algae spreads very quickly. DO not clean the rock inside the tank because any broken pieces will attach to the rock/powerheads and grow to new patches. I know nothing that consumes them.

Yup been there ..lol i normally cleared the algae in the water i had just drained during a water change, but once i got lazy and took some pieces off when it was still in the tank.

Frickin stuff got everywhere, even the overflow, although its only on the rock at the moment

porschefan
02/24/2009, 08:41 AM
If i was going to put it in a dark bucket, anyone know how long i should leave it there until this stuff is killed off ?

S2minute
03/06/2010, 10:45 AM
Yup, i have it too...all over and right among my sps :( so i can`t scrub w/o dammaging my sps corals. What is the scientific name of this stuff? I`ll try to research in order to find a good predator for it. I figure somethings got to love munching on this stuff. In the meantime, what about shutting off the tank lights for a few days?? Concerned about how long my corals can take that.