PDA

View Full Version : crystal clear water

FavaBean
02/23/2009, 09:38 PM
I was wondering how many people that keep a tank just use the rock for filtration... I have a 6 gallon that I have set up that is looking alittle cloudy... I have chemi pure in it... It has been up since middle of jan... I have tested everything seems good... My temp is about 79.... I want clear water so how many people just use the rock to filter

dwd5813
02/23/2009, 10:09 PM
i run a small amount of carbon in my tank but aside from the lr that's the only filtration and if i clean the glass it looks like there's no water in the tank.

drparker
02/23/2009, 10:25 PM
carbon, skimmer and LR is all I use regularly. When I do a good cleaning by scraping all the glass and blowing off the rocks, I'll use a filter sock overnight and then remove.

smalls383
02/23/2009, 10:26 PM
Your going to need to run some type of mechanical filtration like a filter sock......if you cant fit that in your setup then perhaps a HOB filter of some sort....they are very cheap these days. Either would help clear the small particles in the water

singold
02/23/2009, 10:42 PM
Run Carbon

cslabrecque
02/23/2009, 10:47 PM
seachem purigen also works good

Mopar Reefer
02/23/2009, 11:36 PM
+1

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14468243#post14468243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
carbon, skimmer and LR is all I use regularly. When I do a good cleaning by scraping all the glass and blowing off the rocks, I'll use a filter sock overnight and then remove.

PRDubois
02/24/2009, 05:51 AM
Do you use tap water?

FavaBean
02/24/2009, 09:36 AM
thanks everyone.... no I use rodi... I might just pull the chemi pure out... I think the sock it came in easy melting away cause it looks like pieces of it in my tank... I have used carbon before and really liked it... if it aint broke don't fix it...

FavaBean
02/24/2009, 10:02 AM
also it is a jbj 6 so really can't use a hob filter.... I did notice I have what I believe pods all around in the tank... maybe they are making it not clear cause so many of them.... not really sure.... and I don't have that much stuff in tank.... couple of turbos a fighting conch... frags of zoas and gsp and some shrooms

drparker
02/24/2009, 11:14 AM
Do you have sponges in the chambers in back? If so clean them every two to three days. You could use them the way I use a filter sock. Put in the sponges then clean the glass and blow of the rocks, do a water change. Remove the sponges after 24 to 36 hours. Doing this and running carbon should keep you water pretty clean.

The pods are a good thing, have you always had them or did your population just explode?

IslandCrow
02/24/2009, 12:55 PM
One thing I've started doing for my 12g tank is running my canister filter with a 1 micron filter installed. I just do it for a couple hours every month, but although I thought my water was pretty clear before, the difference since doing this has been significant. I got the idea from Paul B who occasionally uses a diatom filter to polish the water in his tank. I didn't have a diatom filter, but the canister filter seems to be working quite well.

Otherwise, I just have a PURA filter pad in the back, but given the limited amount of flow actually going through the pad, it's probably not nearly as effective as I'd like to believe.

FavaBean
02/24/2009, 06:15 PM
I do have a sponge but I only clean it once a week... When I do water changes.... i will rinse it out more...and I just noticed a bunch of pods... They just exploded...