PDA

View Full Version : I realy hate this

Ronny#66
02/24/2009, 07:24 AM
My small clown has been laying close to bottom lately this mornig could pick him up in my hand would swim only if he had too. I got to go out on road right now soI had to take him out before he perished in a hole some where. And don't have a lot of crabs to take care of this. Put him in freezer. I read here it's best way. I shure hope I wasn't premature. He was not right. Clowns last less than a year in this tank this one only since xmass . What ya think. ? By the way no QT tank he looked fine as far as apearence. Also My 4 year old Grand daughters cat was hit here few days ago it Was killed not good week for me!
Ronny

Guygettnby
02/24/2009, 07:57 AM
hmm, well i personally think you just killed your fish for no reason.

michellejy
02/24/2009, 08:15 AM
Clowns, especially wild caught ones, are very susceptible to diseases like brook and velvet. A lot of them also have internal parasites. Do you have other fish in your tank? A healthy clown can live well over 10 years, closer to 20 in some cases.

It sounds like you have had other clowns in your tank, so it's possible that the parasite is sitting dormant in your tank until you add the next fish, when it has a new host to start the cycle all over again.

Ranchhand02
02/24/2009, 08:57 AM
I ahd the same thing happen to one of my clowns a few weeks ago. I had him about six months and one day he started doing the same thing that yours did and he died.

Guygettnby
02/24/2009, 09:00 AM
sorry if it seemed as that coming off mean. wasnt my intentions.

on another note i did have a problem keeping clowns alive at one point in time along time ago in a smaller tank. everybody told me that there were parasites and diseases that were specif to clownfish and would stay in the tank for along time. but those were tank raised clowns i ws having the problems with. michellejy's statement just reminded me of that.

returnofsid
02/24/2009, 02:28 PM
I also would suggest you killed your fish for no reason. Euthanizing a fish is ALWAYS a last resort, after ALL other treatments have failed. You didn't try any treatments, let alone a proper diagnosis.

Freezing is a very inhumane way of euthanization.

Macimage
02/24/2009, 09:49 PM
I agree with Returnofsid.

You made absolutely no effort to cure the fish and killed it for your own convenience because you had to travel.

If you had a proper cleaning crew, you could have left him in there, which is only marginally better than killing it. (If you have other fish they would have picked on it if it was dying).

Freezing is not a good way to euthanize a fish.

Moving it to qt and treating it would have been the proper course of action. I know your post stated that you don't have a qt setup, however, a cheap used 10 gallon tank with a heater and powerhead would work fine. Basically you killed it because 1. you don't have a qt setup and 2. you had to travel.

pagojoe
02/24/2009, 09:58 PM
You asked "what do you think," and I see you got some opinions. I won't give opinions on any of your actions except freezing. Contrary to what some say, "I think" freezing is about the most humane method if you are going to euthanize something. Even people who have frozen to death while keeping a journal of it describe it as painless and like going to sleep. Considering the alternatives of letting it choke to death, cutting its head off or smashing it with a hammer, and just about any other way of killing, I think freezing is not bad. If you could anesthetize it, that would probably be the optimal way, but even anesthetics can "choke" the animal to death.

Again, only my opinion, same value as the others (Zero dollars and Zero cents).

Cheers,

Don

cczarnik
02/24/2009, 10:51 PM
Sorry about your grandaughter's cat and your clown. If you're getting your clowns from the same source, you might try somewhere else. I have historically had bad luck with fish from certain LFS's, thus I avoid and shop elsewhere.

Make sure your params are stable and read up. I do agree that freezing is about as good approach as any in an unfortunate situation like this.

Ronny#66
02/28/2009, 12:08 AM
As far as the travelong it's my job !! As for treating he was on his way out just saved me the trouble of poluting tank. as far as clean up crew i posted on my snails dying .I do the best i can with what time home I have. Thanks for the posts. And there is a thread on freezing a fish. thats why Idid it.

Ronny#66
02/28/2009, 09:35 AM
This store is only one here and it's 80 mile round trip. There stock looks fine tanks emaculate. they said maybe cause I didn't have a anamie I can't spell it . What do you think. also 25 gal tank. He looked fine but was on his way out.

Ronny

michellejy
02/28/2009, 10:25 AM
Clownfish don't need an anemone to remain healthy or happy in an aquarium, so I'm sure that wasn't the issue.

Ronny#66
02/28/2009, 01:03 PM
He looked fine but i could hold him right in my hand in tank . he was dying . Not much I could do.

brynkal
02/28/2009, 03:34 PM
There's no way of knowing if he would have died, but it's understandable that you didn't want him to die while you were gone, and foul the tank.

And freezing is definitely the way to go, unless you have vet drugs...

xJake
02/28/2009, 03:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14476200#post14476200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pagojoe
You asked "what do you think," and I see you got some opinions. I won't give opinions on any of your actions except freezing. Contrary to what some say, "I think" freezing is about the most humane method if you are going to euthanize something. Even people who have frozen to death while keeping a journal of it describe it as painless and like going to sleep. Considering the alternatives of letting it choke to death, cutting its head off or smashing it with a hammer, and just about any other way of killing, I think freezing is not bad. If you could anesthetize it, that would probably be the optimal way, but even anesthetics can "choke" the animal to death.

Again, only my opinion, same value as the others (Zero dollars and Zero cents).

Cheers,

Don

A warm-blooded mammal freezing to death in a dry environment and a cold-blooded fish freezing to death in water are two completely different experiences. Imagine if you died by falling through the ice on a frozen lake and then being trapped underneath until you suffocate.

It's about the same experience for a fish. Their organs basically shut down and they eventually suffocate while still partially conscious (although many times immobile). Also, ice crystals begin forming in their tissues before they are unconscious, potentially causing extreme pain and distress.

The simplest way for a hobbyist (without access to standard anesthetics) to euthanize a fish is with "Clove Oil," which can be purchased at almost any pharmacy without a prescription. Clove oil, when properly dosed, knocks the fish unconscious, allowing it to then be euthanized without experiencing any pain. I find the easiest way to euthanize a fish is to render it unconscious with a dose of clove oil and then place it in the freezer until it has gone through RM (rigor mortis). Another similar method is to use ethanol (i.e. vodka) to render the fish unconscious - this is more expensive and can actually cause the fish pain (by "burning"/dessicating it's tissues - specifically the gills) if overdosed.

pagojoe
02/28/2009, 05:08 PM
Well, again it's only my opinion, but a cold water animal getting colder, painful? I think that's B.S. The fish isn't trapped under the ice trying to breathe, its body processes are slowing until they stop. I'd rather freeze to death than be doused in gasoline and set on fire with a flame thrower so that I only feel the flame for a couple of seconds before I'm crispy. I know what reaction you get by putting live animals in ethanol, as I've done it for a lot of animals preserved for DNA studies. Clove oil and alcohol should be about the same as the gasoline/flame thrower in comparison to freezing.

Cheers,

Don

koranAngel
02/28/2009, 06:32 PM
seriously shocking y would u put the live fish in the freezer!!!!!

i still cant understand!

i had similiar prob and couldnt bare the thought of killing the fish
so i left it in the tank

and 4 month later she is alive and well
it could have recovered if u just left it alone

my thought anyways

tims28gnano
02/28/2009, 07:19 PM
ronny, sorry about your fish and the cat!

talk about being betweena rock and a hard place!!!

i bought 2 false prec clowns as my firstfish after the cycle, i looked them over REALLY close in the store and put em in my tank. they both were happy and healthy with NO anemone. i then noticed one of them hanging out on the sand leaning agains a rock - -- same story as yours. anyway, i watched him for a few days ( all params were spot on) and was not very suprised when i found him dead!

i really do not know what way is better, but either way, it's too bad they died.

Ronny#66
02/28/2009, 07:24 PM
For all you posters who think I'm a murderer maybe you aught to look up thread on most humane way of puting fish away Before you throw stones !! You will be enlightened!

Ronny

koranAngel
02/28/2009, 07:30 PM
murderer is bit extreme
u did what u thought was best at the time
maybe u should treat ur water just in case any parasites lurking around waiting for a host

xJake
02/28/2009, 07:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14504686#post14504686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pagojoe
Well, again it's only my opinion, but a cold water animal getting colder, painful? I think that's B.S. The fish isn't trapped under the ice trying to breathe, its body processes are slowing until they stop. I'd rather freeze to death than be doused in gasoline and set on fire with a flame thrower so that I only feel the flame for a couple of seconds before I'm crispy. I know what reaction you get by putting live animals in ethanol, as I've done it for a lot of animals preserved for DNA studies. Clove oil and alcohol should be about the same as the gasoline/flame thrower in comparison to freezing.

Cheers,

Don

I'd say it's more about the equivalent of someone putting a cloth full of ether other your mouth and nose. You experience respiratory distress for a few seconds and are then knocked unconscious. I'd rather be killed after being knocked out with ether than be killed by freezing to death. I'm pretty sure that only gasoline and a flame thrower are the same as gasoline and a flamethrower in comparison to freezing. There's a rather large difference between being set on fire and being knocked unconscious via respiratory impairment.

Ronny#66
02/28/2009, 07:53 PM
Sydney isn't that where Nemo lives? Treat water with what I have other fish in there there ok.

Ronny

koranAngel
03/01/2009, 12:14 AM
lmfao yeah it is im with nemo right now

avel
03/01/2009, 02:39 PM
Damsels can survive a microwave for 15 seconds....

ehutchby
03/01/2009, 02:44 PM
Interesting....

roadcrew
03/01/2009, 02:48 PM
oh no!