PDA

View Full Version : Trying to limit foam sponges/filter socks

ser_renely
02/24/2009, 03:22 PM
So I find myself slowly adding foam sponges in my tank to cut down on the debris floating around. I seem to have a lot of fine sand that gets kicked up from my pistol shrimp.

I have a filter sock, a sponge over my return pump, one over my pump that feeds my phosban reactors and then the sponges in the phosban reactors(do people use these?

I am not certain but I think this is why my nitrates are almost always around the 5-10 range, before this I never had an nitrate issues.

First off do people think this is too many?

Also what can I do to not need them or limit them? I took the one off my return pump, but left the plastic cover over it, not sure if that is a good or bad idea since I don't want my pump to get wrecked.

thegrun
02/24/2009, 03:30 PM
You need to change them out every 3 days or so to keep them from going biological and increasing your nitrates. It does seem like you have a lot of filters, I would think one sponge and one sock would be enough, although you want to filter water before it enters pumps or chillers.

fishtk75
02/24/2009, 04:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14472966#post14472966 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ser_renely
So I find myself slowly adding foam sponges in my tank to cut down on the debris floating around. I seem to have a lot of fine sand that gets kicked up from my pistol shrimp.

I have a filter sock, a sponge over my return pump, one over my pump that feeds my phosban reactors and then the sponges in the phosban reactors(do people use these?

I am not certain but I think this is why my nitrates are almost always around the 5-10 range, before this I never had an nitrate issues.

First off do people think this is too many?

Also what can I do to not need them or limit them? I took the one off my return pump, but left the plastic cover over it, not sure if that is a good or bad idea since I don't want my pump to get wrecked.

So we can picture this first you have a sump? I ask as you did not say anything about a sump.

I have a filter sock in my sump on the return lines from the overflow boxes to catch the dirt and worms from getting in the pumps. I got 2 or 3 so I can clean them and have clean ones for changing when I see it getting too dirty.

And yes anything holding the water going thought will make nitrates.
I use for now to stop the sand a fliter sock unless someone as the same thing going and know a better way to stop the sand.

ser_renely
02/24/2009, 05:33 PM
Sorry yes I have a sump....my bad not clear.

I guess I will just have to try and find the best way for my system. I think I am going to try and only leave the one on for my phosban reactors.

Do people use the phosban foam pieces in their reactors?

ser_renely
02/25/2009, 12:14 PM
^

bph0013
02/25/2009, 12:23 PM
You have to so the carbon or phosban does not get into the sump/display. I've never heard of anyone not using them. That's why they're included with the reactor.

ser_renely
02/25/2009, 01:04 PM
u could use bags or pantyhose for the media

seapug
02/25/2009, 01:47 PM
you could use panyhose, but just because it's not called a "sponge" or "pad" doesn't mean it won't trap detritus and periodically need to be cleaned like anything else.

Apart from the Phosban reactors, I've weaned my tank of all mechanical filtration and it's never been healthier and clearer. I stick a sponge in the overflow when I feed to keep large pieces of food settling in the sump and use it when I'm blowing off the rocks and sand during cleaning time, but remove it and rinse it once the tank clears. Everything else just settles in the sump and gets sucked out with weekly water changes.

ser_renely
02/25/2009, 03:23 PM
ahhh great idea....thanks.