PDA

View Full Version : Advice and parts for 180 room separating tank

gradth
02/24/2009, 08:07 PM
So I asked in another section but I think I asked the wrong questions and in the wrong section.

Tommorow Im picking up my new 180 gal tank. I want to do things right this time, dont want to have to replace things later, dont want to have to upgrade in a year.

So here is what the plans are. I am going to build a room divider between my kitchen nook area and my living room. Its about a 12 foot span, and the tank will take up just over 6 feet of that, leaving about 5 foot for traffic and what have you. I plan on a stand of either steel or wood(still deciding on that) and then basically build a wall around it making it viewable from 3 sides.

That part I sort of have a handle on. This will eventually be a reef tank.

Im looking for suggested parts, skimmer sizes, lighting suggestions, sump size, that sort of thing. My current tanks are both 55 gals and I realize this will be a much bigger task.

Tank size is 180 gals, 72'x24'x24'. Dual corner overflows.

I was planning on using a 55 for a sump. Is that big enough for a 180?

Also, does anyone have a tank set up similar to what Im planning? I would love to see pictures and find out some details.

Thank you.

rgrobe
02/24/2009, 08:46 PM
I have a 180g that was set up last May. Like you I wanted to do it right the first time. That's a tough one because you will always find something that you wish you had done differently. What has worked so far for me;

*55g tank converted to a sump/refugium. 3 compartments, 1st-filter bags, 2nd-fuge, 3rd sump with room for skimmer.
*External pump, Pan-American 200, 1780gph.
*ASM G4+ skimmer with Sedra 9000 pump.
*2 TLF Phosban 150 reactors, 1st-Phosban media, 2nd-carbon
*Korillin calcium reactor
*Lighting- 3-150w MH (would consider 250w MH if i were to do it again), 4 96w PC (2 actinic, 2 50-50)
*1/3 hp chiller for summer heat and lighting and pump loads.

Good luck and keep us updated with pictures. Sound like a cool project.

gradth
02/24/2009, 09:12 PM
Thank you, this is what im looking for.

Did you do retro fit lights?

Are chillers needed if your house is consistently 70-72?

How many heaters, what size do you use?

Ill have some pictures of the tank with any luck soon.

thegrun
02/24/2009, 09:43 PM
I think hanging pendant lights over the tank would look great.

rgrobe
02/25/2009, 01:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14475767#post14475767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gradth
Thank you, this is what im looking for.

Did you do retro fit lights?

Are chillers needed if your house is consistently 70-72?

How many heaters, what size do you use?

Ill have some pictures of the tank with any luck soon.

I have a 72" Coralife Aqua Pro. My DT will eventually be built into a wall of oak cabinetry and I wanted the lights in one unit that can be removed for service.

As long as you have consistent temperature in your house a chiller may not be necessary. Lighting and pumps will undoubtedly add temp to the water though. Often a good fan system blowing across the top is enough.

Two heaters is better that one. If one fails you have a second that will minimize the temp drop. I would recommend 350-400 watts each. I have a 400 watt heating unit built into my chiller and a 350w unit in the sump. The chiller is set up to control all heating and cooling while the heater in the sump acts solely as backup.

Zestay
02/25/2009, 02:12 AM
look into solar lighting
do a search for " gone solar" better yet
heres a link!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13212347