PDA

View Full Version : green tank

aliciajoshltjt
02/24/2009, 08:14 PM
so why has my tank gone green. does anyone know off hand if it would be caused from higher this or that in my water params? It is a relatively new tank but I moved everything from my 20 tall into the no 28 bowfront and added a bit of rock. I can clean the glass and sand and everything though and it looks terrible in no time (just a few hours).

rgrobe
02/24/2009, 08:23 PM
Green with algae?

The usual questions are;
Is the tank cycling now? This may be a normal cycle for a new tank.
What are your phosphate levels?
What are your nitrate levels?
How old are your bulbs? How long is your photoperiod?
Do you have a fuge?
Do you have a skimmer and if so is it working well?

It would also be helpful knowing all of your parameters. Sorry, but I can't help much without more information.

aliciajoshltjt
02/24/2009, 08:42 PM
I need to get the water tested asap but I have not had time to take it in with work. We left one weekend came back and the tank was completely green having always been crystal clear. Just all of a sudden the tank is awful. I just bought 3 brand new bulbs that should hopefully help and might get a hob filter as well to help my skimmer out.

Whys
02/24/2009, 10:16 PM
Do you mean there's a lot of green algae growing on things, or do you mean the water itself has turned green?

aliciajoshltjt
02/24/2009, 11:23 PM
water itself seems green and there is a thin film of a lighter green algae on my glass and sand, but not on the rocks or coral. All the tanks I have owned I have never had any issues with algae but for some reason this tank has not been clear yet. I moved all my things from a 75 to a 20 tall and now they reside in a 28 bow. It is by no means overstocked with livestock: pygmy cherub angel, sixline, and pair of true percs all of which are juveniles.

Whys
02/24/2009, 11:49 PM
Sounds like an algae bloom. UV is sometimes used in these situations to help eliminate the spores turning your water green.

I've never had to deal with an algae bloom myself, but have a UV at the ready, just in case.

aliciajoshltjt
02/25/2009, 09:48 AM
new light on tank, 36hrs later all the green is no longer in the tank. Although the new lamp is of course waaaay too white for my taste.