PDA

View Full Version : Newb planning future setup

mgrayo01
02/25/2009, 12:55 PM
Hi, my name is Mike and I'm new to this site and to saltwater aquariums. My roommate had a 35g hex saltwater tank running (without any livestock, they died this past summer) when I moved in and I got it up and running, and put in two emerald crabs, a peppermint shrimp, and my newest arrival, a Clarkii Clownfish in it. The live rock was already in there and the pg was perfect (my roommate kept the tank/filter running even though there was nothing in it). Would you reccommend a protein skimmer for this small of a tank? We currently only have a hanging filter. Also, what would be some good cleaning crew guys to put in there (and how many)?

Anyway, I'm now hooked and want to start planning out a bigger project for when I have the funds. I'd like to get either a 75 or 90 gallon tank and set up a sump/refugium/overflow, etc. A few questions hopefully people can help me out with...

1.) Where is a good place to start looking for this size tank on a tight budget?

2.) I'm still confused on how to set up a sump/refugium and an overflow box...are there kits that provide all the parts and show you step by step how to set up the plumbing? I've read Melev's site and a few posts but I am still very confused.

3.) What is the difference between a bulkhead and a powerhead, and what are their functions?

4.) What kind of lights and what strength do I need for SPS corals in a 75 or 90 gallon tank?

I know that was a lot of questions, but as I said, I'm definitely now hooked and hungry for knowledge. Any help is appreciated!

jon99
02/25/2009, 05:22 PM
Welcome to the club!!! To answer your questions: yes I would definetly recommend a protein skimmer. In the long run it saves you money by reducing the amount of water changes necessary to keep the water clean. Not to mention it increases the livestock you can keep in the tank and still maintain good water quality. I'd look into a reef octopus hang on back skimmer. Best bang for the buck IMO. There are several models, get one as big as you can afford, the bigger the better.

1. Check the used dry goods selling a trading sections of RC. Also used tank on craigslist.

2. Maybe this video will help answer some questions about the sump... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o&feature=related .... there is a part II as well so watch both. Keep reading as try to ask specific questions.

3. bulkhead is a plastic plumbing piece inserted into a drilled hole on in the glass of the tank to allow water to flow from or into th tank. Here's a pic of some (the black parts)... http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/alexander_n_parker/?action=view&current=Bulkhead.jpg
A powerhead is something totaly unrelated. It's a pump placed inside the aquarium to increase circulation.
4. I'd recommend either T-5's or metal halides. Here are some general guidelines... http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Lighting

Keep reading and asking questions. Nothing in this hobby happens fast... except for bad things.

mgrayo01
02/27/2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks jon99 for the links and info...i really appreciate it. It was very helpful.

I also wanted to ask...is a 35 gallon hex tank with LR big enough to grow SPS corals? I'll post pics of it later (I'm at work).