PDA

View Full Version : anyone keeping a jawfish in your nano?

Nerdy Nudi
02/25/2009, 01:59 PM
just curious if any one is having success with a somewhat shallow sand bed (3" or so) and their jawfish.

youngpit
02/25/2009, 03:03 PM
i was wondering the same thing and what are you going to use to keep him from jumping out the tank

Nerdy Nudi
02/25/2009, 03:16 PM
young,

as a tank cover I plan on using either:

starfire glass,
acrylic
eggcrate

will start with eggcrate (ie light diffuser panel), unless water evap becomes a problem.

vasilithegreek
02/25/2009, 03:46 PM
There is one at my lfs a blue spotted jawfish, its in a 28nano cube with lots of coral and one black and white clown, its sand bed is about 2 to 3in I would guess and it moves the sand around alot in there, but it also has alot of rock work, I would say maybe about 45-55lbs of smaller nano sized rock. Its been in there about 1 year and looks very healthy

Egkid
02/25/2009, 03:53 PM
After seeing them in a somewhat natural habitat at the aquarium I wouldn't keep one in a nano. It had made a burrow deep enough for it's whole body and would only stick out half way until it got spooked then it would shoot back into it's whole.

I just don't think a 3" sandbed would be deep enoough for one.

unda_da_see
02/25/2009, 04:14 PM
i have a 12 gallon with crushed coral and bought a pearly jawfish. well he dug and dug and dug and built himself quite an extensive area under my rockwork. How the rocks did not collapse i don't know. I got rid of him pretty quick. pretty fish but only came out during feeding.

jwilliams229
02/25/2009, 05:49 PM
I have one in my BC29 with my 3" SB (less in some places). He is one of my favorites. I bought a piece of branch rock that kind of had a natural hole and placed that on top of the sand. After a couple of weeks the jawfish finally did what I wanted, used this branch as part of his burrow. He is constantly front and center in the tank waving hello to everone - hovering about 3" above the burrow.

My cube is covered, but i did have a problem of him jumping into the back chambers a couple of times so I put a piece of plexiglas to eliminate that possibility - hasn't been an issue since.

I wouldn't trade him for anything. He and my firefish share the burrow at night, and the jawfish always waits for him to come to bed before placing the last shell/door over his entrance.

small alien
02/25/2009, 05:57 PM
That's a cute bedtime story, jwilliams229.