PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of filtration needed on a frag tank?

fishwood
02/25/2009, 03:03 PM
Let's say that I want to set up a 10 gallon frag tank (SPS and softies)...no other live stock in the aquarium. What would be a good, relatively inexpensive filtration configuration?

I've never done fragging before, but want to give it a try.

xpirtdesign
02/25/2009, 04:01 PM
you could add a nano skimmer

jefathome
02/25/2009, 04:05 PM
You could probably get away with just a lot of live rock, or a remote DSB.

As long as you aren't really feeding, there won't be much you need to pull out.

Be warned though, you WILL put livestock in your frag tank. As soon as the algae starts to grow, you will end up putting in some snails. Then one small fish... then another, soon you have a complete tank.
;)

Boyman
02/25/2009, 04:13 PM
Hi there, I have a 10g nano running

The only filtration that I use is a HOB Aquaclear filter gutted and replaced with chaeto and a small desk lamp (halogen lamp)

Thus far, I have been successful keeping SPS with two fish and a few snails

Maybe this will give you an idea

king1966
02/25/2009, 04:53 PM
if anyone can tell me what will be the ideal water condition for a frag tank? I would like to start one too.

jefathome
02/25/2009, 04:59 PM
salty ;)

Seriously though, ideal conditions are the same as for a regular reef tank.

fishwood
02/25/2009, 05:29 PM
I'd be wanting dose whatever supplements were most effective at stimulating growth--I'm mainly interested in acros, anything branching in nature.

I've kept salt tanks before, but I've only kept soft corals in them.

What is a skimmer going to be pulling out if I don't have any fish/snails/crabs producing waste?

kraze3
02/25/2009, 06:12 PM
Any way you can plumb it in to your system? No need for filtration and the water conditions will always be the same.

fishwood
02/26/2009, 12:55 PM
I'm planning on putting it in a garage--It won't be the most aesthetically pleasing configuration and I don't want it in the house.