PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel ok for Reef

Infinitereef
02/25/2009, 04:21 PM
I have 180g SPS tank. Will Flame Angel safe for reef? What your experience?

JEFFR259
02/25/2009, 04:24 PM
I think that Centropyge angels (flames, Coral Beauty's, etc) are kinda hit or miss with being reef friendly.

I bought a Coral Beauty months back, and he behaved himself for a couple months. Then I began to notice GSP's (Green Star Polyps) staying closed. I noticed a general unhappiness among various pieces in the tank, from Zoas to GSP's to leathers. I caught the CB nipping at the GSP colony one day....and back to the LFS he went. Everything opened back up over the next day.

Sooooo....in short....it's probably a gamble and I'd hate to say one way or another whether a Flame is Reef-Safe

Toddrtrex
02/25/2009, 04:29 PM
Hit or miss, even with the same species.

I have had good luck with flames and SPS (( have had 2 of them )). I have a Potter's pair in one of my tanks. The larger one doesn't touch anything, but I am starting to think that the smaller one is nipping at my clam.

Basically comes done to do you want to take the risk, and if it does nip do you want to live with that, or try to get it out of your tank.

jubjub
02/25/2009, 07:37 PM
i have a flame in my reef....not had one issue...friend has one in his tank and not had any issues....i think flames are prob the most reef safe of the angels but it is hit or miss...

IFbettas
02/25/2009, 11:11 PM
I think that they are a gorgeous fish, so I bought one for my 180 gallon reef last weekend. It all just depends on your personal opinion of whether it is worth the risk or not. If you really like them then you should just try one, and if it doesn't work, atleast you tried.

Fish2reef
02/25/2009, 11:18 PM
How healthy are your corals? Frags or colonies? That will determine if they can handle the occasional nipping here and there.
If the answer to those questions is yes, then go for it.

ROB712
02/26/2009, 02:17 AM
my flame angel isnt bothering corals at all so far..my bi-color on the other hand is if it gets any worse hes gonna be out of there real fast!

ziggy_impy
02/26/2009, 01:25 PM
I have also had good luck with my flame angel. I heard to be cautious putting it in my reef tank when I got it about a year ago. Luckily it has never touched any corals in my tank.

snorvich
02/26/2009, 02:40 PM
It is simply a roll of the dice. Your choice.