PDA

View Full Version : I have green algae and seem to cant get rid off it

jbbaseball23
02/25/2009, 05:01 PM
Hey i have 29 bio cube with live rock. Theirs no fish in there just a couple for Mex. turbo snails and a few other types on snails for the sand with 2 hermit crabs. I just bought the tank from a guy that kinda let the tank go and not clean it or anything all of the water as transferred with it and all of the levels are good but my live rock has green algae on it and was wondering if anyone can help me out on getting this cleared up
I'm New with saltwater tanks this is my 1st one so any info. on them will help out a lot.

thanks
John

Toddrtrex
02/25/2009, 05:07 PM
[welcome]

The odds are good that the rock is loaded with nutrients, which is fueling the algae. It is going to take time, but if you keep the nutrients in your tank low, the rock should "clean" itself. Wouldn't hurt to run some phosphate removing media.

hamiltonguy
02/25/2009, 05:53 PM
You could get a sea hare, those things are a fiend for green hair algae but not the prettiest critter in the world so if you don't like it you'd have to arrange getting rid of it as well.

As Todd stated there's probably excess nutrients in the water feeding the algae.

Try to pick of brush then siphon off as much as you can. Seeing as how you don't have corals in there, keep the lights off to starve the algae since it is photosynthetic. Hope that helps.

Good luck!

jbbaseball23
02/25/2009, 06:27 PM
thanks alot i going to try these things

does it matter what type of brush like hard or soft brissel

hamiltonguy
02/25/2009, 06:34 PM
Wow I just read my post and the first few words of the third line made no sense lol. I meant try to pick some off with your hand or brush/siphon.

I'd got with a soft bristle brush, it doesn't stick really hard to the rock (mine didn't anyway).

Don't worry everyone has their battles against all types of algae. You might be seeing more of this, or cyan or diatoms and all that fun stuff so just bare with it :D

Rosterc
02/25/2009, 07:22 PM
I agree... just picking it off durring water changes and start using phosphate... Should clear up after awhile... i have found the brush just throws it all over the tank.. you could take the rocks out but thats to much work... You should see results by just picking it off the rocks...

jbbaseball23
02/25/2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone