PDA

View Full Version : Dual-overflow, dual sumps?

INNOVATOR
02/25/2009, 08:45 PM
I am setting up a dual-overflow and instead of combining a sump, skimmer, and refugium does anyone see any problems with having two sumps (one per overflow): one for mechanical and chemical filtration and the other for a decent sized refugium? As long as both pumps are rated correctly based on the individual overflows I should be ok?

Thank you for any insight :)

klasiksb
02/25/2009, 09:10 PM
I don't think that would work to well, but not positive. Even with identical pumps, they may not be the exact same flow. One may drain more than the other, etc.

I would make a main sump (flow one drain into that), then a separate sump/refugium (second drain to that), but that one would overflow back into the main sump. 1 pump, no problems. Follow?

INNOVATOR
02/27/2009, 05:57 PM
Any other opinions?

suphew
02/27/2009, 06:15 PM
It wouldn't work, usually your overflow rate is in balance with your pump rate, i.e. unless your overflow can't handle the flow, the more or less your pump does the more of less your overflow will return to your sump. With your two sump system if you look at the extreme and one of your pumps isn't going, there will still be water going up to the display (from the other pump) so there will still be water going down the overflow to the sump (that doesn't have a working pump), soon it will flood. Unless both your pumps pump the identical amount of water (which is impossible) there will always mismatch between what goes into and out of the two sumps.

cdh9400t
02/27/2009, 06:44 PM
i have a set up similar to this, dual overflows, 1 tube going to my sump, the other to a fuge. but i have 1 velocity t3 that pulls from the bottom of both. they are teed together so there is always a balance between the sump and fuge.

icantremember
02/27/2009, 06:49 PM
Second that. I have this setup on my tank but a little tweak. The sump drains back into the fuge. Works great!

Just make sure you balance out your water levels so your tank doesn't overflow if the power goes out.