PDA

View Full Version : How do you make corals grow?

moevilla
02/26/2009, 08:23 AM
I just purchased a frag pack of 13 corals. I can't begin to name them but they were cheap about $7.50 a frag. Only 1 hard coral. The guy who I bought them from tells me on a lot of his corals (the same ones I bought), he'll see new polyps almost every week. Is that accurate? and how do I get the same results. My tank is new, been established for about 2 months. 25g, 80 watts pc (10000k, 6700k, 450nm, 430nm). I don't know whay my calcium and other trace element levels are.

AquaReeferMan
02/26/2009, 08:27 AM
Good lighting, water movement and water quality. Keep your calcium, alk, and mag in check. If you dont know the levels of those three I suggest getting some test kits.

THE ROOK
02/26/2009, 10:51 AM
Definitely need to invest in some test kits. With 13 corals and only 25 gallon tank (assuming no sump) your levels could drop quite quick.

Weekly water changes with the correct salt will help quite a bit. Reef crystals is what I use.

shuguley
02/26/2009, 10:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14486915#post14486915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaReeferMan
Good lighting, water movement and water quality. Keep your calcium, alk, and mag in check. If you dont know the levels of those three I suggest getting some test kits.

+1
I'm having great results with ESV B-Ionic to keep my calcium, alk, and mag in check.

w16227
02/26/2009, 12:11 PM
first things first - what coarls?

You said only one "hard" coral - if this is true, then the need for calcium drops. Plus - many softies in a tank with one hard coral may be a problem as the softies tend to produce "waste" in the tank that the hard corals do not tolerate well. Many mixed reefs run carbon to help reduce this - as well as limiting the soft/hard coral mix.

Best thing - get the names or at least post pics so that the crew can get a look.

Wakeskater02
02/26/2009, 12:29 PM
Second thing second....... If you are running PC's and have a hard coral (Probably SPS) in your tank. Expect it to die. You need to be running MH for hard corals or SPS.

Secondly, Be very careful with a 25g tank the levels of everything can change quite dramatically in a very very short period of time. a good amount of lighting is between 4 and 6.5 watts per gallon. Currently you are at 3.2w/g. You may consider uping that, also, power compacts do not provide intense lighting for deeper tanks. How deep is it? if its 12" or 15" you might be alright towards the middle of the tank. If you are a tank that is deeper than that. That will affect the corals.

remember, most corals use light for nourishment. With out the proper lighting they will get ****ed for sure.

sdc19982002
02/26/2009, 01:32 PM
[i[B]Second thing second....... If you are running PC's and have a hard coral (Probably SPS) in your tank. Expect it to die. You need to be running MH for hard corals or SPS.
]

This is not correct. If it is an lps you can just move it toward the top and it should do fine. There are many many tanks out there that are succesful without MH lighting.

MileHighFish
02/26/2009, 01:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14488931#post14488931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sdc19982002
This is not correct. If it is an lps you can just move it toward the top and it should do fine. There are many many tanks out there that are succesful without MH lighting.

I agree there are successful tanks that are not running MH's but 80 watts of PC IMO is lacking and will be tough for them to acclimate if the sellers tank had T5 or MH's..

moevilla
02/26/2009, 03:35 PM
So, if I have inadequate lighting does that mean that the corals will die or that the growth will be much slower. I know it also depends on other paramters, but all things being equal...

sdc19982002
02/26/2009, 03:58 PM
With what you have, I would say slower. Location of the corals in your tank will be key to their success. Althought you can get by with your lights with some corals, I would consider upgrading the lights for future additions.

MileHighFish
02/26/2009, 04:15 PM
What type of light were they under at the store?

KarlBob
02/26/2009, 04:49 PM
We can't be certain that your lighting is inadequate for your corals, because we don't know what corals you have.

My first suggestion: do a few Google Image searches on "soft coral", "zoanthid", and "mushroom coral" to see if you can identify your frags.

If you have a digital camera, you could also take pictures of your frags and put them in your ReefCentral gallery, or another photo hosting site.

Sk8r
02/26/2009, 05:06 PM
You need, for that hard coral, 8.3-9.3 dkh scale alkalinity, 400-420 calcium, and 1300 magnesium. The soft corals will be happy in that, too.

However, lps stony has tentacles that reach out at night and may touch and kill softies; and softies spit chemicals that will harm stony. Put your stony first in the water flow, then the softies, and keep all softies at least 6" from the stony. Running carbon may also help, especially if the softies get annoyed.

Aquarist007
02/26/2009, 05:14 PM
Its a myth that you need halides to do well with sps corals. There are many successful reefs with T5 lighting setups.

If you lighting is not adequate then growth and colour intensity will suffer on alot of sps corals.

Sps corals will flourish with regular feedings.

But the main thing for there success is keeping conditions pristine in your tank for them---SK8R has given you the water parameters above for that.

Aquarist007
02/26/2009, 05:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14488505#post14488505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wakeskater02
Second thing second....... If you are running PC's and have a hard coral (Probably SPS) in your tank. Expect it to die. You need to be running MH for hard corals or SPS.

I don't want to debate with you but I'll bet these guys will:D

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1580726