PDA

View Full Version : what size UV Sterilizers should i use

aljReefers
02/26/2009, 09:19 AM
I am in the processes of upgrading my 65gal to a 120rr and can't decide on the UV Sterilizers to get. I am currently running an 8W Advantage UV 2000 Sterilizer with my mag 7 pump.

I am upgrading to a mag18 for the main pump. I am assuming that I am going to need a bigger uv sterilizer.

What factors should i consider before deciding on the wattage? the amount of water or the flow rate?

Can I put the UV on the pump with the skimmer a (mag7) or should I go on the mail return...the mag 18?

Thanks

kretzkiller
02/26/2009, 10:58 AM
don't use one..save money and buy something more useful

zooxanth
02/26/2009, 11:45 AM
+1........... IMO UV does more harm than good

JPReef
02/26/2009, 12:07 PM
only thing id use a UV on is a quarantine tank.

saltwatermadnes
02/26/2009, 03:20 PM
Just curious why everyone is against uv? More harm than good? How...

rhkingsfan
02/26/2009, 04:22 PM
If you are going to put a UV sterilizer in the tank, make sure you pay attention to flow rate of the pump not necessarily tank size.

I have a UV sterilizer but do not run it currently. They may kill parasites and algae, but they are probably going to kill copepods and other beneficial life. Probably better off having a lot of live rock, a good skimmer and do water changes.

james3370
02/26/2009, 04:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14490045#post14490045 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rhkingsfan
If you are going to put a UV sterilizer in the tank, make sure you pay attention to flow rate of the pump not necessarily tank size.

I have a UV sterilizer but do not run it currently. They may kill parasites and algae, but they are probably going to kill copepods and other beneficial life. Probably better off having a lot of live rock, a good skimmer and do water changes.

this is why it is just as important to decide on location the pump draws water to send it thru the uv sterilizer as it is to determine pump size.....

from what i read when researching one for mine it is best to do a small pump, so the water has lots of contact time w/ the uv bulb

it is also a good idea to have it come BEFORE a refugium that would be adding pods to the water so the uv bulb doesn't fry them LOL

for my 29, i plan on eventually adding one & i'm gonna use a small pump like a maxijet900 & have the pump in one of the bubble traps between the skimmer & return chambers (chambers will be skimmer - return - refugium). the water will return from it into the return chamber

that way the uv will be getting water that has been cleaned by the skimmer but before the beneficial pods have been added to the water by the refugium & will have a slow gph rate thru it, so the bulb has plenty of contact time w/ the water