PDA

View Full Version : Soap In my Tank?

Robamus
02/26/2009, 03:21 PM
OK, So I have this 72 gal tank that I got from a friend about a month ago. I purchased a new 100 micron filter sock off ebay and installed it today. I suppose I should have rinsed it really good but I didnt. Right after I installed it my skimmer started pulling TONS of stuff out. But it just seemed like foam. I took the sock out right away and put the old one back in. I have since pulled another 3 full containers of foam out of the skimmer and have washed the new sock. What do you guys think happened???

Robamus
02/26/2009, 03:50 PM
OK, so like an hour later and everything seems OK. Put the new filter in (washed) and skimmer activity has slowed. What happened? Anyone?

bgraves
02/26/2009, 05:20 PM
i keep two sock on hand and change out every 3-4 days. every time i change it my skimmer creates wet skim but it settles down after a few minutes.

thegrun
02/26/2009, 07:06 PM
I've never had that problem with a filter sock. I keep four of them and rotate them every 3 days. Sound like there was soap or some chemical on the sock. Have you checked your phosphates? You may want to do a 25% water change just to be safe.

fours2many
02/26/2009, 07:34 PM
I already purchased new filter socks and placed them on my tanks and yes the skimmer goes crazy. I have since learned to at the very least, rinse them in some ro water first. Putting an unwashed, new filter sock on, won't hurt the tank as long as it is not contaminated. Some skimmers are just touchier than others and the stuff in the new fabric just make the skimmers go nuts.

jsr
02/26/2009, 08:49 PM
Had the same issues when I started using socks. I learned real fast that you must wash them before you add them. After 20+ washes, my skimmer does not care when the sock is replaced.

Robamus
02/26/2009, 10:24 PM
Nice info thank you guys... Ill do a test this PM...