PDA

View Full Version : Can zoas live in 85' temps and higher?

seaduck
02/26/2009, 03:45 PM
Just wondering if zoas can live in water that has temps 85' and higher...the ocean/gulf around here reaches the low 90's in the summer time.

650-IS350
02/26/2009, 03:59 PM
For a certain time I think they can. Like polyps in certain regions were during low tide, they are actually fully out of the water and baking in the sun. And doubt this can be attributed to ALL polyps only region specific. " SOMEONE correct me if I'm wrong here "

Timanator
02/26/2009, 04:14 PM
One of my nanos ran over 86 during the summer which is why I tore it down. But it ran with everything looking ok for atleast 4 month.

MUCHO REEF
02/26/2009, 06:46 PM
Good question, are you considering keeping your zoanthids at this temp level? If you are, I would strong recommend and respectfully suggest that you shouldn't. Why? To answer your question, yes, they will survive at that temp and yes reefs around the world can reach these temps in the summer months in the mid to high 80's, but again, I would never maintain an ambient tank temp above 80 degrees in my opinion. 82 degrees would be my limit. A slight yet marginal shift of 1 or 2 degrees up or down is acceptable as this also happens in the oceans of the world. Personally I shoot for 80 degrees 24/7 with a very reliable heater with little or no fluctuation. The reefs around the world achieve these high 80 degree levels and corals will thrive, but oceans and aquariums are not a level playing field.

"Light fields, light intensity, water chemistry, water volume and water motion in an aquarium are all significantly different in an aquarium "

There are many reasons why I would shy away from temps at 85 to 90 even though some will/can/might survive.

1. BLEACHING - many will say it won't happen, but I have seen it in zoanthids as well as sps. At the above elevated temps, the potential for bleaching/negative color shift ( a mass exodus of zooxanthellae), the single cell algae which gives coral its pigment ), can occur. I witnessed it many years ago with a stunning deep radiant pink zoanthid colony. At these levels, you'd risk pushing them to the outer limits of their temperature threshold.

2. HEATER MALFUNCTION - In the event of a heater malfunction such as a stuck thermostat, the heater will continue to heat the system instead of shutting down. There is a greater margin of error giving the owner time to catch the temp spike if the ambient tank temp is kept at 80 instead of the high 80's or even 90 degrees. This 10 degree window affords the owner added time to catch the malfunctioning heater whereas a 10 degree spike from a 90 degree setting which peaks at 100 would prove to be deadly in a captive system.

Here in Michigan, it gets colder than cold in the winter, yet our summers can reach the high 90's or 100's with the heat index. If your AC goes out on you with a tank temp of 88 to 90 in 95 degree weather, timing is most important if the outage occurs while you're away from home. An 80 degree tank allows more time for corrective action.

3. RESPIRATION/METABOLISM - increased spawning is associated with higher temps, but the drawback is that corals and fish will respire at a much higher rate with the increase in temperature. Delbeek states in his book that an increase in metabolism will occur resulting in increased respiration. The high temperatures also increase the demand for oxygen which can be depleted. The trade off just isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

4. ALGAE BLOOMS - Systems that are rich with organic matter and high nutrients will foster algae blooms when assisted by high temp readings.

Sorry to go overboard but I was just reading about this a few days ago. # 1 thru # 3 can view in detail in Delbeeks Vol 3 chapter 4, great reading BTW.

Mucho Reef